PDA

View Full Version : had my first race today

Jake250ex
06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
first race today b class harescramble at haspin. was leading my class, then some douche puched my up a hill into a tree and I got stuck super bad. My quad and I was muddy, overheating blowing oil and anitfreeze out so I gave it up after a lap. I learned I have the speed but need to work on endurance. I also learned it not what you ride, its how you ride. The 2 kids in the pro class blew by me like i was stuck in a mudhole on a trail that was barely wide enough for my quad. heres a pic of my start, im on the red and black predator

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture071.jpg

firefighterjosh
06-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Hows the haspen track? I was thinking of trying it.

Scro
06-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Lookin' good...a nice steady pace usually results in good outcomes. That was the mistake I made the first time I raced. I was trying to keep up with everyone, and I was beaten and bangin' off trees like I was driving a full-sized Chevy:p Then I learned to just keep the pressure on the person in front of you, and most of the time they will eventually make a mental mistake; especially if he is a novice racer.

06-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I had a shatty race today too. It rained for two weeks straight so the track was pure mud. And there was like 2 foot tall breaking bumps down this hill into this one turn where its one big mud pit, and some kid pushed me into it and I got stuck and basically ended my race.:( I got another lap in but I had mud in my airbox so my quad was running like crap. The track i went to today sucks. out of the 30 races, quads went last, and the track was already beat to hell. Oh well, i need more practice. It was only my second race.:macho

Jake250ex
06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
rough as balls. nothing but rutted up hills coming out of huge mudholes and creeks. me riding a redator thast never hooked up well in the first place with worn out 20'' holeshots on the rear all I did was slide around, spin and get stuck. Lots of rocks, where its not muddy its dusty, and just really deep mud and ruts everywhere. Maybe Im a winp, but I thought it was a hard track. There was a freakin 1/4 mile long bottleneck behind me on the first lap, by the grace of god i made it up a slick hill and no one behind me did. What I found works, ih click it in 2nd and PIN IT. Rev limiter, backfiring and all it pulled me through alot. The good thing is tho at the next race, they will change the course and and it probably wont have rained for a week straight before the race. The next on is July 2nd, come on out!

watts16
06-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Lookin' good...a nice steady pace usually results in good outcomes. That was the mistake I made the first time I raced. I was trying to keep up with everyone, and I was beaten and bangin' off trees like I was driving a full-sized Chevy:p Then I learned to just keep the pressure on the person in front of you, and most of the time they will eventually make a mental mistake; especially if he is a novice racer.

Yeah same for me. During my first race I was last off the line of about 12 quads. Just rode a steady pace the whole race and waited for the people in front of me to make mistakes. Ended up in 4th. That race got me hooked and now im racing almost every weekend between the Iowa series and Missouri series.

Jake250ex
06-04-2006, 06:23 PM
The most upsetting thing of it all was when I got stuck about 2 miles into the course when I got stuck, it took about 1 minute and a half before my class freight trained me :( I think I coulda dominated my class. Oh well, there will be a next time.

Oh yeah, and the dude next to us broke upp his whole freaking sub frame on his 450r! It sheared the bolts off and the plastics were dragging the rear tires. He was cussing and screaming. Another thing I got a laugh out of was about a 12 year old kid on a stock 250ex hualing ***. holy crap, he was riding every bit as fast as me thru the woods and he finished too!

Scro
06-04-2006, 06:27 PM
HAHA....If you were riding something that narrow, it would be a little bit easier for you as well.:D

watts16
Originally posted by Jake250ex
rough as balls. nothing but rutted up hills coming out of huge mudholes and creeks. me riding a redator thast never hooked up well in the first place with worn out 20'' holeshots on the rear all I did was slide around, spin and get stuck. Lots of rocks, where its not muddy its dusty, and just really deep mud and ruts everywhere. Maybe Im a winp, but I thought it was a hard track. There was a freakin 1/4 mile long bottleneck behind me on the first lap, by the grace of god i made it up a slick hill and no one behind me did. What I found works, ih click it in 2nd and PIN IT. Rev limiter, backfiring and all it pulled me through alot. The good thing is tho at the next race, they will change the course and and it probably wont have rained for a week straight before the race. The next on is July 2nd, come on out!

How many quads were there total?

firefighterjosh
I race my first GP today. Didn't get a good start I was dead last off the line since I was a idiot and didn't leave me ket on:mad: But I got up to 10th out of 25 and then I died I had terrible airpump it was a rough as hell track. I dislocated my thumb a while ago and my thumb has never beenright Does anyone know how to tape a thumb up?

Jake250ex
06-04-2006, 06:29 PM
im guessing about 100 maybe a little less

400exrules
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
my first harescramble a few months ago, i tried to get the holeshot like a retard and i was like mid-pack and a z400 hit me and i wrecked because i didnt have nerfs, and his front tire got wedged in there. so now, i take it easy on the starts and try to keep a steady pace, i'd rather finish instead of wrecking the first turn and not make 1 lap

but one thing i found out, nerfs are extremely important for xc racing lol