PDA

View Full Version : rebuild crank or buy new

RiderTRX400ex
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
tore the motor down in my 400ex cuz i sheared 2nd gear.. yay. and looks as though some of the teeth from the gear went through my motor. yay. well, its looking like i need a new rod. i found wiseco hotrod kits for like 145, and complete cranks for 260.. ive never had this done before so i dont know how much it will cost but do you guys think it will be cheaper to get a new complete crank or pay for labor plus the 145 in parts to rebuild my stock crank??

-thanks in advance

firefighterjosh
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Personally I would get a new crank. Pull up and down on your rod and if it has play then you need a new one. Or atleast bearings.

RiderTRX400ex
06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
nawh there isnt any up and down play.. but i need a new rod because the inside where the ristpin rides shows visible wear and is scored up..

firefighterjosh
06-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I honestly don't know if I would worry about the crank. but I am not there to see it.

aviator4
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Without seeing how bad the scoring is, it's hard to say whether you actually NEED a new rod or not.

Personally, I'd just replace the whole thing unless you plan on having a REAL atv engine shop do the work. Indexing the crank once it's apart is a real B*tch and take a sizeable press.

of course, just cracking the cases and getting the crank all the way out takes a press to do it properly, since you're allready there, I'd say just replace the crank/rod assembly and call it good.

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by RiderTRX400ex
tore the motor down in my 400ex cuz i sheared 2nd gear.. yay. and looks as though some of the teeth from the gear went through my motor. yay. well, its looking like i need a new rod. i found wiseco hotrod kits for like 145, and complete cranks for 260.. ive never had this done before so i dont know how much it will cost but do you guys think it will be cheaper to get a new complete crank or pay for labor plus the 145 in parts to rebuild my stock crank??

-thanks in advance

Yah...I would buy an aftermarket crank...Yah. Actually... I would buy a stroker kit and make it a stroker, but thats just me. :devil:

250r4life
06-05-2006, 01:57 PM
man, as long as you are in there, just replace it... dont rebuild it... quick cheap fixes just ended causing long expensive repairs...

you get out of your quad what you put into it... i give mine lots of love, and she loves me right back... :D

PismoLocal
06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
You might as well get an aftermarket stroker crank while your down there, It won't be that much more expensive and it will give you a boat load of more power.

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
You might as well get an aftermarket stroker crank while your down there, It won't be that much more expensive and it will give you a boat load of more power.

Thats what I said... But yeah, It would be a good idea.