PDA

View Full Version : How to effectively clean an air filter.

my250ex
06-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Everybody eventually needs to clean their air filter no matter what kind it is. Cleaning your air filter will increase the longevity of your machine and keep it running the best it can. Here is an easy way to clean it. This applies to foam type filters only (no K&N).

You will need the following:
A 1 gallon freezer bag
Air filter cleaner
Air filter oil (I prefer Spectro, because it is an easy spray on type)
And a hose

Once you get your air filter out, take out the metal cylinder inside the filter. spray your air filter cleaner onto the filter generously. You want to make sure you get the entire filter saturated, inside and out. Let it sit for about 30 seconds and squeeze the filter. Wring out the filter until no more liquid comes out and then get the hose and rinse it off until the color looks like it did when it was stock.

Once you rinse it, squeeze out all the remaining liquid in the filter. You need to allow the filter to dry or else when you apply the oil, it wont absorb as well. You may want to use some dry towels to speed up the process.

After the filter is nice and dry, you are now ready to oil your filter. The oiling of the filter is the most important part because it helps catch the dust and dirt that may pass through. I prefer to use Spectro Filter Oil. It is a blue color and is very tacky. The blue coloration helps because you know where you haven't oiled.

This is where the 1 gallon zip loc bag comes into play. Spray or pour (depending on the type of oil your using) into the plastic bag and place the filter inside. Zip the bag up and start to work the oil thoroughly into the filter. Try working from the inside to outside to make sure its getting enough oil. After you have oiled your filter enough, you can take it out of the bag.

Note: I like to use the bag because it makes it a lot easier and a lot less messier. You don't have to deal with getting a ton of tacky oil on your hands and all the mess. Its also a lot easier to work the oil into the filter this way.

You have finished cleaning and oiling your air filter! It is now ready to reinstall and ride.

:cool:

nosliw
06-08-2006, 08:55 PM
iginally posted by my250ex [/i]
Wring out the filter.... [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

easy was to tear it. other than that good writeup

my250ex
06-09-2006, 10:41 AM
I dont mean wring out every droplet and use every once of strength you have to get it out just squeeze the liquid out

nosliw
06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
when i read WRING i think TWIST

twist means tear

neworleans400ex
07-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm gonna have to try this when the time comes.

m.h.s.c.#527
01-12-2007, 05:53 PM
ive found that a sink hot water 409 kitchen stuff (NOTHING WITH BLEACH) and uni filter oil workd great

Dragnut06
01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
i just took the filter of the metal peice then got a bucket and put some gas in it and set the filter in it and worked the gas in the filter but needing it in then once its clean squeeze the gas out of it filter and rinsed off with water then put a small drop (about a quater size) on it then worked it in