PDA

View Full Version : CDI boxes

Outlawracer
06-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I recently bought a Dyna FS non programmable CDI box for my R. It started fine and ran three times to start breaking it in .I took it out to finish breaking it in and it wouldn't start. I checked all other components and they tested fine , as far as the resistance checks go, according to beerocks post on how to check electrical system. I also checked all other wires for continuity. I think my old CDI box was bad so it is no help. Can a CDI box go bad like that so quickly?????:mad:

kustomfab2003
06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Double check your ground wire as well as your plug cap. I also had this problem and it was a cracked woodruff key for the flywheel so the timing was off.

Outlawracer
06-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I cleaned all of my ground points on motor mounts and frame ground. I also replaced the coil and did continuity checks through the coil to my plug boot. There is no power coming out from the box to the coil wire. I even tried to see if it would power the coil through the kill wire , it would not. Power does come through the kill wire when only the small power and kill wire plug is hooked up. I think it comes through also when the other plug is plugged in ,but still not enough to make a plug fire. I also took my flywheel cover off and looked to see if it were loose , it was still solid. Could the key have cracked when trying to start it , and still be solid? It did run before. And even if the timing were off wouldn't it still make power to the coil , but just at the wrong time?
Thanks for the advice though , Ill check everything again. I am sending that CDI unit back to have it replaced. What could make a CDI burn up like that if it is my bikes fault? I have a new stator from Ricky Stator , but it is made to oem specs. The coil is not stock , but has the same resistance as a stock coil so it would not hurt anything.
This quad is becoming a big hassle.

bada440ex
06-05-2006, 09:08 AM
get you a ftz igniton and dont mess with that crap ftz has the hottest spark from what a guy told me but you better be able to retime

Outlawracer
06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Dyna sent me a new cdi box free of charge . I still had to pay shipping one way though. The box was bad and the R started as soon as gas reached the cylinder. I guess it was just my luck to get the rare cdi box that was faulty from the factory. I new I had everything else right on the R , after having replaced everything because of a shop selling me the wrong cdi box to start with . Everyone should avoid Wymers cycle shop in Heath Ohio.