PDA

View Full Version : burning coolant

dirtriderex
06-03-2006, 05:54 PM
The past few races my quad has been burning off coolant. When i'm riding I can smell the coolant but I can't find out where it's coming from. I replaced my radiator cap and keep my radiator clean. I don't know if it's overheating or a head gasket or something is bad. Pleas help me out!

firefighterjosh
06-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't know much about 450s but I would check the overflow tube. If I hit a big bump on the shee sometimes a little fluid will spill and hit my exhaulst.

dirtriderex
06-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, I took my radiator off and checked all my hoses for leaks and found nothing. I looked at sevice honda and could it be my thermo unit or thermo sensor?

firefighterjosh
06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
Ok, I took my radiator off and checked all my hoses for leaks and found nothing. I looked at sevice honda and could it be my thermo unit or thermo sensor?

You go me. Sorry. Is the smell coming from your exhaulst. because if it is it is prabably a head gastket. If not it has to be leaking. maybe around the case?

schootar
06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I went to the dunes this past weekend and I noticed a burning antifreeze smell coming from my '06. I found that it was the overflow tube toward the top of the steering stem. Fluid wasn't low, so I think it was just jumping the dunes and the fluid worked its way out the overflow. At least I hope.

xc400ex
06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah if your motor has never been apart its probably 1 in a million chance your stock headgasket blew, it just doesnt happen on a stock 450r. The overflow will splash out, especially if its overfilled. Also dirtrider when you say its burnign off coolant, wheres it missing from? the overflow or is it actually getting low in the radiator?

hicksd
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I racer cross country and for the last 3 races my overflow has been drained and 10-15% of the radiator fluid is gone. It is not burning it thru the exhaust, no coolant found in the oil, no external leaks. I did hard wire my fan to run full-time in hopes of keeping it cool. I did check my exhaust valves and they were tight, so I adjusted them to specs and I'm hoping the engine was running hotter than normal due to tight exhaust valve clearance.

5thgearpinned
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Check the base gasket on the jug. If its noticeable enough to smell then its gotta be a pretty hefty spray of coolant. Check anything coolant related

dirtriderex
06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
My radiator is full but my reserve tank is empty. I checked the lines and hoses and everything is air tight. My motor was rebuilt and all new gaskets are on. I don't seem to be loosing compression... I ordered a new thermo sensor and pump gasket

xc400ex
06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
More than likely its just sloshing out onto the header if the radiator never gets low.

firefighterjosh
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
My radiator is full but my reserve tank is empty. I checked the lines and hoses and everything is air tight. My motor was rebuilt and all new gaskets are on. I don't seem to be loosing compression... I ordered a new thermo sensor and pump gasket

Sounds Like it overflowed out since the reserve tank is empty.

dirtriderex
06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Ok found the problem. The bracket on top of the radiator cracked and fluid is leaking out there. thanks for all your help though:)