PDA

View Full Version : high octane

quadsport_rider
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
my buddy was ridin his dirt bike with high octane and he had no mods. done to his bike and it blew up,....when they opend up the engine at the shop it was all white...it got cooked...was it something eles that made it bloew up...or can i run high octane thro my z with no mods.??

hybrid_hatch
06-03-2006, 03:05 PM
depends on what fuel is used..

sunoco will run lean on stock engines.

VP will run rich on stock engines..

jetting is inorder..

quadsport_rider
06-03-2006, 07:52 PM
iight thanks hybrid_hatch...:)

2004exrider
06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
How come you have to rejet with higher octane? Is it because some are oxygenated or something, otherwise im confused can you please explain a little more for me.

Jimmy

LT250RMan
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
You have to re jet because every diffrent type of fuel with a diffrent octane rating and mixture burns at a diffrent temperature causing you to re jet your engine

400exrules
06-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
You have to re jet because every diffrent type of fuel with a diffrent octane rating and mixture burns at a diffrent temperature causing you to re jet your engine

ummm......no you dont:huh

400exrider707
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
It would probably help if someone who knew what in the hell they were talking about was to give you answers on here. If you have no mods done to your engine in order to raise compression or alter timing then there is absolutely no need for race gas or any higher octane fuel, as it just ignites at a higher temperature, and will in fact make your machine harder to start.

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
ummm......no you dont:huh

UUUMMM...Yeah you do, Higher octane gas burns faster. :ermm:

bwamos
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by quadsport_rider
my buddy was ridin his dirt bike with high octane and he had no mods. done to his bike and it blew up,....when they opend up the engine at the shop it was all white...it got cooked...was it something eles that made it bloew up...or can i run high octane thro my z with no mods.??

Odd's are he was running oxygenated fuel, wich will make it run very lean.

Higher octane fuel is not necessary for a stock motor, and will give it no benefit. Run premium pump.

Higher octane fuels also don't burn faster (necessarily), higher octane means that the fuel requires a higher temperarure/pressure combination in order to detonate. That is why is is required for engines running 13.5:1 compression, etc. Some of the race fuels are designed to burn faster, yes, but that is not a mechanism of the octane rating. Some are also designed to burn slower.

But, in short, changing from 87 octane pump to 110 octane oxygenated fuel will require quite a bit of jetting changes.

Changing from 93 octane to 100 octane standard will require minimal jetting changes.

But, there is no stock machine that requires an octane rating greater than premium pump so don't waste your money.

ohsobad_chevy
06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Odd's are he was running oxygenated fuel, wich will make it run very lean.

Higher octane fuel is not necessary for a stock motor, and will give it no benefit. Run premium pump.

Higher octane fuels also don't burn faster (necessarily), higher octane means that the fuel requires a higher temperarure/pressure combination in order to detonate. That is why is is required for engines running 13.5:1 compression, etc. Some of the race fuels are designed to burn faster, yes, but that is not a mechanism of the octane rating. Some are also designed to burn slower.

But, in short, changing from 87 octane pump to 110 octane oxygenated fuel will require quite a bit of jetting changes.

Changing from 93 octane to 100 octane standard will require minimal jetting changes.

But, there is no stock machine that requires an octane rating greater than premium pump so don't waste your money.

I was reffering the switch from 91 pump gas to 100 octane (non-oxiganated). I was told from a mechanic that it will burn faster as well.

LT250RMan
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
most of the time you have to re jet when you change anything doing with fuel.