PDA

View Full Version : cbr 600 engine on my quad frame!!!!!!!

Hondaboy007
06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
this might be weird but i have heard of some crazy guys puttin streetbike engines on a quad frame, well im one of those guys . is that doable and if so what frame and misc parts will i need.....any info please.....i really wanna do this......thanks

Glamis400ex
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I can't help you on how or where to fabricate BUT...I do have a buddy who stuffed a CBR 929RR into a custom frame. OMG...that thing would go from 0-100 in about 4 seconds. Absolutely insane.

So, it can be done, but will be expensive.

Glamis

ryanh250ex
06-02-2006, 11:39 PM
if you have to ask, you're probably not up for it.

hope you can weld and guesset

TacomaNC4X4
06-03-2006, 11:48 PM
funny you broght that up. i just got in the house from the shop. been workin on mine. i got a 02 400ex im puttin a fzr600r motor in. just the the 400 motor out and got it all ready to start cuttin. i dont think its gonna be that bad. just line the sprocket up, measure, then make some mounts. the hardest part is gettin it in there.

sakirocket28
06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
i love seeing streetbike motors in quads. i helped a friend build a blaster with a gsxr 1000 motor in it. hands down the most insane ride i have ever had!

idontknowwhoiam
06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
do u have the motor?

firefighterjosh
06-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I would try to get some free bent or broke frames to do trial and error when your cutting.

400exrider707
06-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by sakirocket28
i love seeing streetbike motors in quads. i helped a friend build a blaster with a gsxr 1000 motor in it. hands down the most insane ride i have ever had!

A regualr quad frame cant handle the horsepower that a 600cc bike could put out and you put a 1000cc in a frame designed to handle 15hp? Not a good idea right there.

Hondaboy007
06-04-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah i got a cbr 600 engine off an 03 honda, its awesome i just need some guidance...........

brapbrap13
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
wat kind of frame r u putting the motor in?

Iliketogofast
06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, noone can really tell you what you need unless they have actually done it with that specific motor and frame.

In general, you're going to need a welder and access to a CNC machine would be nice, for fabricating nice brackets. You have to custom fabricate all of the engine mounting hardware intelligently, or else it's going to vibrate and rattle like a son of a *****.

Depending on the frame, you may have to do some chopping and welding on the actual frame to get the motor to fit inside. This means chopping the frame rails, sticking another piece of metal inside, and welding it all together in order to extend the frame. You may be able to fit it in by cutting and just welding it back together around the motor (that is, if it will fit inside the space, but you can't get it in unless you take the frame apart)

A good platform to start with is a frame already designed to handle serious amounts of horsepower and fit a large, large engine.

I wouldn't attempt it with a Blaster or 300EX frame like so many do. I would get my hands on a YFZ or Raptor frame, maybe a KFX 700 if you've got the kind of skill it takes to convert it to chain drive.

You'll also want an extended swingarm, or the front end is going to float the whole time you're riding it and you'll have to watch the throttle or you'll flip. The longer the better.

If you expect it to be a practical machine for anything, you would be wrong. It will be too heavy and too powerful to ride any trails with. It would most likely be limited strictly to drag racing.

Good luck if you actually plan to go through with it.

Hondaboy007
06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
i have 2 a 400ex frame and a 250r frame but if i need to get a bigger frame i will...

bansheemorphine
06-05-2006, 07:50 AM
i know a guy who took a 500 quadzilla cut the bottom frame rails out jacked the gsxr 1100 motor into place then tig welded the bottom frame rails back in around the motor then gusseted and tig welded through out the whole frame he did everything right except used the stock suspension but man did that thing ever go i never drove it but he told me it would do 100mph in 3rd gear he started it up and with the dual exhaust me sitting on it i was scared haha i think the biggest problems u will have is getting the chain lined up and getting the motor to actually fit in there

idontknowwhoiam
06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
we got a 02 r6 motor pretty much new and have been building a kit from www.badlandbuggies.com and its comin along but now we cant get the motor to run...its somthing real stupid like a sensor or somthing it isnt gettin fuel

400exrules
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
yah, their are 3-4 streetbike conversions at the local dragstrip. one is in a 400ex frame, one is in a warrior frame i think, and i forgot what the others are in

prp89
06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
i have seen one or two of these things there crazy but kind of cool the one that i liked was a kawasaki tecate w/a kz650 four cylinder with open header at sandlake oregon. IT RIPPED!!!!!
that bike would beat any body out there. its a cool thing to do so good luck