View Full Version : Oil filter installed backwards...

Rickyrebar
06-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I screwed up over memorial day weekend and ran my R with the oil filter in backwards.
Ran it for a day and 1/2 before it started making very ugly sounds.
Motor did nt seize, still cranks over, but I assume major damage has been done. Scheduled to take it to the shop tomorrow and have it looked at.
I have changed my oil regular after everyother ride for over a year. I know the right way to install the filter and assume all responsability for what happened, but why wouldn't Honda design a filter that can only be installed the correct way? Am I an high or dosen't that make perfect sence.
Has anyone else had this problem or am I the only fool on the block?
If so what was the outcome of the ordeal?

hardkoratvmxr
06-02-2006, 09:52 PM
i dunno but you could shorten up your signature

xc400ex
06-02-2006, 11:27 PM
You'll probably just have to replace the cam and cam bearings, piston still shoulda been getting oiled, could be wrong though I'm not exactly sure how the oil flows on the 450r's. Might have to replace valve buckets too, heck the valves might be junk since they weren't being oiled either.

honda350r
06-03-2006, 08:16 AM
You prolly have major engine damage! That sucks ...

Bill Fuller
06-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Do like I did along time ago turn off user signatures:devil:

eganracing
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
personaly i dont see how u could have installed it backwards. i always thought it was pretty straight forward on how to install it. but u probaly did the right thing by taking it to a dealer to get it checked.

One_Bad_400
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
i've dont it... but thencought myself... it is a very easy mistake

Dippy Dawg
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
the engine is probably going to need some work. this is the same filter honda has used forever, i think.. my buddy did that filter backwards thing in a 87 250x back in the day and they had to open the engine up and fix some things.

owners manual has really nice drawings and instructions on how the filter needs to be installed. just so you know

EX400rider
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
i feel for ya man

ThumPIN_450R
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I actually read a deal in atv sport where they talked to mark baldwin and it said in there that he has heard of a few people doing it as well. I've gone through a few motors so I feel you're pain but I can see how you can not notice it was on backwards. Now that I say this I will probably do it on mine soon :eek2:

yamablaster24
06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
ive done it also, but i double check most of the work i do when it is as important as the motor. It does say motor out out on it doesnt it?

Rickyrebar
06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I have the shop manual, and the owners manual, as well as the knowledge and experiance to know better, my 400 EX as you all know has a similar type of filter and installation of it can also be reversed.
My gripe isn't that there is a lack of information on how to perform the maintence, but rather a simple brain fart or a moment of weekness can cost you a bunch of moola $$... but then again, looking at it from Honda's side, it gives them a chance to make some more $$ in shop repairs which is good buisness?
The scooter is in the shop...waitiing for the verdict=(

Nick110
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Looks like no one actually reads the filter. On one side it says THIS SIDE AND SPRING TOWARDS ENGINE and on the other side it says THIS SIDE TOWARDS FILTER COVER.

Hope this helps.

ny300exrider
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
on my aftermarket oil filters i get, there are no words and it is quite easy to mix up if you dont double or even triple check the manual

AtvMxRider
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Sucks to be you right now:ermm:

ThumPIN_450R
06-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I really don't see how it's as easy as you all say it is. One side of the filter has an O-ring. Put that on the filter cover it will stay there by itself the other side will not. If you succesfully put the filter on the cover and it will hold on to without falling off you can now put it into the motor with the spring in the other hole. Seems simple to me.

Jersey450R
06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I really don't see how it's as easy as you all say it is. One side of the filter has an O-ring. Put that on the filter cover it will stay there by itself the other side will not. If you succesfully put the filter on the cover and it will hold on to without falling off you can now put it into the motor with the spring in the other hole. Seems simple to me.

took the words out of my mouth.

06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Do like I did along time ago turn off user signatures:devil:

Big B's the boy with the belly.

Bill Fuller
06-07-2006, 04:40 AM
Yes it is correct I have a belly:confused: Whatever the h*ll that means:huh

06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
You have "Big B" listed as your sig.

I remember a Sesame Street episode that was teaching the difference between a little "b" and a big "B". The song went "Big B's the boy with the belly".

Lol.
I didn't actually mean YOU had a belly.

treake
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
It's not easy at all to put the filter in the wrong way. First of all, it tells you which way to put it in on the filter itself. Secondly, you would literally have to force the filter in there and then force the cover on. The first sign should have been when you needed a hammer to beat the cover back on. For kicks, while changing my oil I tried to put the filter in backwards and there was no way the cover was going back on unless I used some pretty good force. This is why they have dealers. If you don't know how to change the oil and can't read a manual, take it to the dealer. This was a pretty stupid mistake, and a costly one at that. I don't know what's worse, that you put the filter in backwards or you admitted on a forum that you put the filter in backwards.

MX#9
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
treake,you are brutal! You are also 100% correct.