PDA

View Full Version : air filter lid ? please dont bash me

piccopower
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
If i remove the airfilter lid or even the whole box and place a panty hose over the stock filter will it show any more power, will I need to rejet it also? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

300exOH
06-02-2006, 10:21 AM
First off...welcome to the site.

Yes removing the airbox lid will give you more power but you'll need to rejet to get the most out of it. Panyhose or outerwares will help keep the filter clean/dry but if you ride in mud/water you'll need more protection. You can also buy an outerware airbox cover which would be better than an open box. You can even use the outerware material to make your own lid like this one.

piccopower
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
thanks for the welcome and the quick reply, I'm kinda new to this so if I rejet it that means I need to get a jet kit?

300exOH
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by piccopower
thanks for the welcome and the quick reply, I'm kinda new to this so if I rejet it that means I need to get a jet kit?

You're welcome. You don't necessarily need a jet kit. You can buy a couple of individual jets for much less. You should only need then next one or two sizes up on the main jet. The only thing nice about the jet kit is that you will have instructions but there is an excellent post on jetting in the "articles" section that should help if you need it. You might also want to check the "How to" section.

piccopower
06-02-2006, 10:45 AM
thank you my friend.

300exOH
06-02-2006, 10:50 AM
No problem at all. Glad I could help.

shaggyfrog
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Thats a neat looking airbox lid. Never seen that before. Did you just cut up the regular lid and bolt on an outerwear or what?

miller821
06-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Also, a possibility is removing the snorkle, or drilling holes in the airbox lid. Me I drilled holes in the airbox lid, that way it won't get as dirty/muddy, also it helps a little. Just something to think about.

300exOH
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by shaggyfrog
Thats a neat looking airbox lid. Never seen that before. Did you just cut up the regular lid and bolt on an outerwear or what?

Yep. I just cut the opening with a jigsaw and used a sheet of aluminum I picked up at the hardware store to make the "ring" to bolt the outerwear material in place. I also put a bead of silicone under the aluminum to help seal it.

Another option would be a velocity stack from GT Thunder. It's basically a tube that goes through the lid and diverts water away from the filter. I have both setups and I prefer the outerwear lid because I seem to get more airflow with it.

peecout
06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
I made mine with plaxiglass and a dremel

300exOH
06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by peecout
I made mine with plaxiglass and a dremel

Good idea. Never thought of using the plexiglass.

atvn
06-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Here is what I did with mine would not flow as much as no lid but should help and it keeps things filtered.