PDA

View Full Version : Flat track riderz..

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Het, flat track riderz have a few questions....

Im going to b racing on a track thats clay (flat/short track), i was wondering if my ITP holeshote tires will be ok to race with.. its a small track. Or should i put my nearly bald old tires back on?

zedicus00
06-02-2006, 10:21 AM
ask whoever runs the track if they will even let you run knobbies, if yes then prolly the bald ones... hope u know what yur doin, flat tracks not as easy as it looks.

(btw riders is spelled with an 's', theres no need to be l33t in here.)

7 speed
06-02-2006, 11:09 AM
If it is truley clay you need to get American Racers or Hoosiers.
Bald knobbies will due if they let you. But it won't be the right set up for clay.
Do you have a swaybar?

MR.BIG
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Knobbies for flattrack:rolleyes:

440bigborekit
06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
not to sound like a jerk but to me it sounds like you have no clue what your doing. like said before its not as easy as it looks and you need to have the right setup deff. not knobbys even if they let you and i hope you have a sway bar.

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
ask whoever runs the track if they will even let you run knobbies, if yes then prolly the bald ones... hope u know what yur doin, flat tracks not as easy as it looks.

They will let u go with any tires. Its a small track races range btween 2-8 racesrs on a track at the same time. Its such as small track that if u dont get the holeshot ur screwedfor the rest of the race. Theres not 2 many areas u can pass on.

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
not to sound like a jerk but to me it sounds like you have no clue what your doing. like said before its not as easy as it looks and you need to have the right setup deff. not knobbys even if they let you and i hope you have a sway bar.

Na, Ive been riding for years just never rode on clay. I am new at the racing thing, thats why ive been practicing on different things and getting some info, b4 July 15, my racing date. Na, i dont have a sway bar..... Should i get one?

baseballplaya23
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Well no you dont have to have a sway bar just helps alot in the corners. I race with like 3 ppl on r's that dont use a sway bar. If you have never raced flat track before i would use a sway bar . Also get hoosier tires atleast for the rears. On a clay track the knobbies will not grip for sh*t.

wilkin250r
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
First off, the TRACK will determine what type of tires you want. Many flattracks are just dirt oval racetracks designed for cars, and they throw a few turns through the middle. It's really common in the smaller circuits, which it sounds like what you're doing.

Most of these tracks are actually rather soft, with sandy dirt rather than hardpack clay. You need to take a real close look at the track. If it's soft, then holeshots will hook up much better than Hoosiers. You need to determine if it truly is clay or not.

You don't need a swaybar, or fancy setup. Just go have fun, it's your first race. You don't need to go drop hundreds of dollars on your setup for the first race. Race your quad EXACTLY like it is, and get a feel for it. If you get more involved, then go ahead and spend that money down the road to improve your setup.

But for the first race, just go have fun. Get a feel for it before you start throwing money at it.

7 speed
06-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
First off, the TRACK will determine what type of tires you want. Many flattracks are just dirt oval racetracks designed for cars, and they throw a few turns through the middle. It's really common in the smaller circuits, which it sounds like what you're doing.

Most of these tracks are actually rather soft, with sandy dirt rather than hardpack clay. You need to take a real close look at the track. If it's soft, then holeshots will hook up much better than Hoosiers. You need to determine if it truly is clay or not.

You don't need a swaybar, or fancy setup. Just go have fun, it's your first race. You don't need to go drop hundreds of dollars on your setup for the first race. Race your quad EXACTLY like it is, and get a feel for it. If you get more involved, then go ahead and spend that money down the road to improve your setup.

But for the first race, just go have fun. Get a feel for it before you start throwing money at it.

I will have to agree with this guy!
Well said.