PDA

View Full Version : Grip problem on Renthals

RytM1
08-10-2002, 08:58 PM
I just put a second pair of grips on my Renthals today, and they don't seem to want to stay put. I used a super-hold hairspray, which worked great with grips on the stock bars. My last pair of grips didn't want to stop spinning on the Renthals either. Does anyone have any insight or secrets to keep the grips from spinning on Renthals?

OCCRA288
08-10-2002, 09:00 PM
ShoeGoo works great. squirt some on the inside of the grip and some on the handlebars. Allow around 5 hours to set up.

Tommy 17
08-10-2002, 09:08 PM
put thing wire around the grip... if u look there are usually slots made for where the little wire pieces go...

scott grips stick to my renthals perfectly fine and never move with nothing at all just the grip and bars...

Sportrax10
08-10-2002, 09:47 PM
buy scott grip glue...the only prob is its like $5.50 for a little tube of it

T-R-X
08-10-2002, 09:49 PM
On my old renthals soft type grips would not hold, they would always slide off, but i started using Renthal Hard compound grips. They NEVER even budged. I rencently snapped my renthals(i was sitting down going 1st gear ideling, and they snapped, they were eight years old though) Even with the new Tag bars, the grips dont move. I use renthal grip glue.

RytM1
08-10-2002, 10:03 PM
I've heard mixed reactions about the scott glue, but most of it is negative, although I have a tube in my toolbox. I also heard that the renthal glue is supposed to be pretty good. Maybe thats my problem, I'm using soft compound grips (really hoping I don't have to go back to a harder compound). Thanks for the input so far.

Woodsrider
08-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Just use some safety wire on the grips. that will cure your problem.

Razorback
08-11-2002, 07:32 AM
here's a good tip that worked for me...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17158

Bean
08-11-2002, 06:01 PM
i used a crapload of grip glue, and them saftey ties, and mine wont ever come off probly

RytM1
08-11-2002, 08:26 PM
I took the grips off today, and wiped them off the best I could, then put them back on dry. They stayed put better than before, but still spun a bit. I didn't have any safety wire, so I used small zip ties. They got me through the couple hours of riding, but I still wasn't comfortable with the grip spinning in the middle.

Razorback, that was something I started thinking about, seeing as how I assemble golf clubs on the side. I just don't know how well the grip tape will hold up, although I guess it can't be any worse than it is now.

kxrider
08-11-2002, 10:23 PM
squirt some dawn soap in there then put them on and let them sit for 24hrs then they wont move, it may not sound like it works but it does

Doibugu2
08-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Just read on Rocky Mountain, that if you have Renthal grips, that you have to buy there glue in order to make them stick. (Not sure if you have renthal grips too) There glue is $5.50 also.

Razorback
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
I took the grips off today, and wiped them off the best I could, then put them back on dry. They stayed put better than before, but still spun a bit. I didn't have any safety wire, so I used small zip ties. They got me through the couple hours of riding, but I still wasn't comfortable with the grip spinning in the middle.

Razorback, that was something I stareted thinking about, seeing as how I assemble golf clubs on the side. I just don't know how well the grip tape will hold up, although I guess it can't be any worse than it is now.

the tape trick has worked the best yet. i also used safety wire, but with safety wire only, i still had problems with one side of my renthal bars. i've rode the heck out of mine with the tape and no slipping yet.

tahoe97
08-14-2002, 11:15 AM
I use renthal grip glue and the grips never budge...

Str8Wicked
08-14-2002, 12:15 PM
I just put my renthal grips on my new tag bars yesterday. Well actually I put only one on last night. Well anyways. I used Scott Grip GLue and nothing else. Godamn it was a pain getting them on without adding anything to lubricate them.

Anyone know if I can add lubrication to them without affecting the glue bond.

Anyone?

Str8Wicked
08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
anyone?

Pepto_Bismol
08-14-2002, 07:23 PM
I too use renthal grip glue and medium compound grips. I have never had any problems (untill I crashed...:blah..then the ends gots holes in them and dirt started to get into it..) Renthal grip glue also worked well on my old scott grips.

Pepto:cool:

honda400exrider
08-14-2002, 08:19 PM
i used that renthal crap and it sucked. i put gas in my 909's and then a lil on the bars and holds great so far. the renthal crap made it like impossible to get on. me 2 cents

spincr4hire
08-15-2002, 06:21 AM
Scott grip glue sux, I had to end up using epoxy to get the Scott grips to hold to the Renthals. They haven't moved since :devil
I'm getting ready to replace the grips, too. I'll let you know how hard they are to remove (if they come off at all)....

Bean
08-15-2002, 10:12 AM
o well, perfect excuse for a set of tag t-2's

on my cosins kx, the grips wouldnt come off, so we cut them off, worked well enough

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Actually I finished the second grip last night on my TAG Bars.

I was expecting as much trouble with the left side as I had with the right. The right side had no grooves in the metal and the left side did. I put the SCOTT Glue on the grooved part of the metal evenly like the directions say and within 5 good pulls it was on.

The right side I tugged at for about 30 mins and ended up with very soar hands. But finally with enough beer and pain they went on.

EricB
08-16-2002, 01:28 AM
next time try roughing up the bars a bit with some rough sand paper, just a little bit, clean them with rubbing alcohol and use some grip glue or WD40. thats what i always did on pedal bikes, haven't had to change the grips/bars on the EX yet though.

spincr4hire
08-16-2002, 06:10 AM
I took off my old scott grips last night to replace them with new ones, no problem getting them off even with the epoxy holding them on, Epoxy works great...