PDA

View Full Version : tracks

Jeannie250R
06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Now this is a real question............. When turning in a high gear is an R easier to handle on gravel,dirt, or clay?? :)

zedicus00
06-01-2006, 11:55 AM
like a sweeper or hairpin? dirt and hard pack just pitch the ars end out stomp on the throotle and turn the bars away from the corner, power slide style... clay and tacky dirt best bet is to slam the ruts and turn into it... depends on the corner too though.... most of the time yur gunna hafta shift down once or twice and or work the clutch, R's are finicky little.... well yeah. the funnest thing ive ever done was set up a orange cone track in a parking lot and stick some near bald old tires on the rear end... go to a powerslide on a paved track an fill yur heart skip a beat when u come out of the corner at an angle nail the throttle and suddenly theres only one tire touching the ground.

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 08:54 AM
ya, I try sliding on dirt and a place full of gravel. there is a race track near me that is clay, thats why i wanted to know the difference. Do u get better slides when shifting down?? I just clutch it either going into the turn or coming out. Or i play with the throttle while in the turn. How can i make my turning faster? When i come out of a turn i have to get on the gas on the staraight away.

zedicus00
06-02-2006, 09:41 AM
a lot of it depends on the powerband of yur bike, if its set up for low end power then yeah working the clutch/throttle may be fine. if its set up for top end power then to keep it from bogging its best to shift down a gear and in tighter slow turns after straights sumtimes 2 gears down. also it depends on the rider, im guessing you dont weigh near as much as i do so corners where i shift down you can roll in and mash the throttle on the way out and be fine. listen to the engine, learn the track, and youl do fine.... cornering is an art, theres now way the skill can be taught by reading a post in a forum. dont be afraid to try new things. the worst that can happen is broken bones and stuff, but sometimes learning hurts.

fireburns99
06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
"cornering is an art, theres now way the skill can be taught by reading a post in a forum. dont be afraid to try new things. the worst that can happen is broken bones and stuff, but sometimes learning hurts."-Zedicous

VERY well put. :) I might have to add that to my sig. hehe

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
a lot of it depends on the powerband of yur bike, if its set up for low end power then yeah working the clutch/throttle may be fine. if its set up for top end power then to keep it from bogging its best to shift down a gear and in tighter slow turns after straights sumtimes 2 gears down. also it depends on the rider, im guessing you dont weigh near as much as i do so corners where i shift down you can roll in and mash the throttle on the way out and be fine. listen to the engine, learn the track, and youl do fine.... cornering is an art, theres now way the skill can be taught by reading a post in a forum. dont be afraid to try new things. the worst that can happen is broken bones and stuff, but sometimes learning hurts.

I have top end power!! oh so ill try shifting down, see wat works with me the best! Thanx

Jeannie250R
06-02-2006, 10:01 AM
tjis is my quad!! I took off the light a week ago just haven't tooken a pic of it yet. I know... i need new handlebars!;)

smoxy
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
There was a good article on this subject in last month's Dirt Wheels or 3&4 Wheel Action! Or maybe it was the month before?

Creech52
06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
come in hot, slam the brakes, down shift , lean in and mash it , keep control, then come out of it and start grabbing gears:devil:

tazman7
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
You can also mess with your gearing to move the powerband around where you want it- what sprockets are you running?

im running a 14/39 and it seems to work good on the track that i race at

C-LEIGH RACING
06-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
come in hot, slam the brakes, down shift , lean in and mash it , keep control, then come out of it and start grabbing gears:devil:

You better not do that on a track with a 4 stroke in front of you, or else you will nail them in the butt.
Ol slow 4 strokers got to roll into a corners & you will end up boiling your rear brake fluid from trying to keep from running over them, seen it happen many times, my boy was the worlds worst for that happening to him.

Ask me did my daughter crash her 250R bad saturday night just for that very reason. Come in hot & there they sit.

Only 4 strokes you dont have to worrie bout causing that is the good pro riders, they are going to throw it sideways 3/4 way down the straightaway.
Now thats a cool site, full lock power silde & blue smoke comming off the rear tires. Chuckie Creech burns up a set of 38 compound rears every race.

Neil

Jeannie250R
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
You better not do that on a track with a 4 stroke in front of you, or else you will nail them in the butt.

So, What do u thing is the best way to come into the turn??

C-LEIGH RACING
06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Practice take offs when your not racing & get hole shots when you do race. Once your in front of them nothing to worrie about but when to let off the gas.

Thats the problem with my daughter, I cant for the life of me get her to drop the clutch on the starting line.
She flipped on the line way back when she started back racing & buster her butt & I guess she just cant get that out of her mind. Shes had a few wreaks sence then that were a lot worse than her flopping her butt on the track on that starting line.
Shes fixxing to come out of it one way or the other, I dont build a 250R that cant run up front, if its back in the pack, we got a rider problem.

Hey, you want some decals to go on that R, I got a bunch of LA Sleeve/ProX & other companys decals.
If you go to a t v n c . c o m in extreme dirt track we have a bunch of pics of our racing, red & white R #33.
Neil

Scott-300ex
06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Stay on the gas untill the last second, then nail the brakes hard.

I've seen some guys pitch it sideways before the turn and slide around it, and some slide in the middle of it.

I say stay on the gas till your about to kill yourself, then nail the front and rear brakes, hold the back a little after you let off your fronts to get the quad set up for the turn the angle and stuff, lean in, when you get to about the center of the turn give it gas, then carry it out giving it more gas till you feel comfortable nailin her as hard as you can.

You go faster if you don't slide, cuz no waste of power, tire spin, but if you don't slide your prolly goin to slow.

So when you use your power make it throw you forward and not just sit there and spin.

And Jeannie Your 250r looks like mine. Wut year is it? Mine is an 89.

hondardr4life
06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Creech52

Well put :devil:

Creech52
06-16-2006, 09:09 PM
thats the advanced learners edition.