PDA

View Full Version : Don't lose the O ring folks...

KWAD GAWD
06-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Have you changed your oil filter yet?
Well, when you do make sure you don't lose the O ring!
On the inner side of the oil filter, there is a hole where the filter fits over a short stud. There is an O ring around this stud that WILL stick to the old filter when you remove it. Make sure you don't throw the old filter away with this O ring stuck to it.
I removed the O ring from the old filter (after I got it out of the trash) and placed the ring back over the stud inside the oil filter compartment.
Be sure to oil the new filter before you install.
Don't over tighten the 3 cover bolts, us the smallest 1/4" drive ratchet.

rob-u/21
06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
On the inner side of the oil filter, there is a hole where the filter fits over a short stud. There is an O ring around this stud that WILL stick to the old filter when you remove it. Make sure you don't throw the old filter away with this O ring stuck to it.

KWAD GAWD, You just saved me big time. I just changed the oil on my LT-R yesterday as I was prepping my LT-R for the Baja 500 this saturday. I just read your post right now and checked my old filter and sure enough there was the o-ring. Thanks a whole lot for sharing that info with all of us. It would of cost me big time.

Jeffksf
06-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Same thing on a Z400, I went w/o it for who knows how long:rolleyes:

knight rider
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
what will happen if u loose it

bwamos
06-02-2006, 01:10 PM
It wont seal the filter to the post, so your oil will take the least path of resistance which is bypassing the filter.

Won't blow it up right away, but I would just make sure it's there.

spanky101
06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
and we all ko blowing stuff up is badd.... but its easier to just take out the old oil filter o-ring and put it back in there...

KWAD GAWD
06-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by spanky101
and we all ko blowing stuff up is badd.... but its easier to just take out the old oil filter o-ring and put it back in there...
Um, yea..... that's the entire point of this thread.

spanky101
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
ehh ya i make my retarded posts from time to time... now where in ohio do u live kawd gawd? north, south, east, west ? i live about 45 mins from clevelend and i a right outside of youngstown(dont wanna get shot)

benz400
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
can u send us a picture, i dont really understand which o-ring ur talking about... plz it would help me

KWAD GAWD
06-02-2006, 09:32 PM
The only small O ring in the oil filter compartment. It slides over the little post the filter fits on. If you don't have one, or it's missing, and you've changed your original oil filter already, chances are your may have tossed it out accidentally.

KWAD GAWD
06-05-2006, 08:56 AM
bump^^^

ScooterBike
06-06-2006, 09:41 AM
I dont know how I missed this post but only read it now. Done 10h of racing since last filter change and gues what, I found the o ring in the trash with the old filter... :blah: :eek:
can I just take out the filter without draining the oil? :confused:

foxman_23
06-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ScooterBike
I dont know how I missed this post but only read it now. Done 10h of racing since last filter change and gues what, I found the o ring in the trash with the old filter... :blah: :eek:
can I just take out the filter without draining the oil? :confused:
Yes you can and just have to top it back off but better off just changing the oil again. You say youve got 10 hrs on it anyways. I change mine after every race (XC Racing) which is roughly every two hours.

KWAD GAWD
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Tip the bike over, put two spare tires under the wheels and tip bike, oil filter side up.

This way the oil in the engine runs to the other side and doesnt't spill out when you take off the OF cover.

If it still spills out like crazy, just drain it.

KWAD GAWD
06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
If you lose the O ring, you can always get a new one from the Hardware store.

Chad W
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey guys I've been reading your posts and wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I changed the oil on my 06 Z400 for the first time today. I did put the O-ring back on the oil filter cover. Is this what you're referring to, or is their another O-ring on the filter itself that I did not notice? Thanks

benz400
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
i would really like apic or somethign, i see 2 o ring on this department, the one on the cover, and a little one not on the filter but on a piece of metal

KWAD GAWD
06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
We're talking about the one on the little metal stud in the inner side where the oil filter mounts.

benz400
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
can it be possible that mine have stay at his place and didnt come with the filter?