PDA

View Full Version : adjusting your toe???

tom400ex
06-01-2006, 08:44 AM
what is the best way to see if your toe on the front tires is correct. I've been eyeballing it and everytime I adjust it, it seems to be staight and then a little bit later I look and I say nah maybe it needs a little more...:ermm: maybe its me I'm kinda crazy when it comes to stuff like this but I can't stop adjusting it.

Is there a better way or a way to measure it.:confused:

underpowered
06-01-2006, 09:15 AM
measure teh distance between teh inside edge on the fron to the tires compared to the distance at teh back of the tires. you want them slightly towed in, but not too much. i have no idea on specs for something like this, but i like to keep mine at about 1/2 inch of tow in.

300exOH
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
You want a 1/4" total toe in (1/8" per side) at the front of the tires. Make sure your bars are kept straight while you adjust the tie rods. A couple of tie downs from each side of the bars to the grab bar work well for me.

zeppelin
06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
toe nail clippers seem to do the best job, if you dont have any of those i have heard of people useing knives too.

400exrules
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
how do u adjust it on a stock 400ex?

Chino
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
how do u adjust it on a stock 400ex?

loosen your tie rods and spin them...

red2004 TRX450R
06-01-2006, 01:53 PM
lift the front end of the ground
set a block in front of the tire to rest a piece of chalk or grease pencil on it and spin the tire making a line all the way around it, repeat in the other side.
set the bike back down and measure from line to line front then back. the front should be .20 to .5 less than the back.

to make sure they are both the same divide the number in half and use that number to measure from the line to a point on the front of the bike then do it from the other side and the point should be the same. if not one is in or out to far.