PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotor Runout????

Drtridr18
08-10-2002, 08:07 PM
What is the allowable rotor runout for my 400ex? My front right wheel spindle seems to have more resistance in one spot of rotation from hitting so much stuff I think(a bend in my rim almost scrapes my caliper in one spot now), I took a dial indicator and clamp to all my rotors, the one in question measures .010-013, the front left and the rear measure approx. .005 t.i.r., also my front brake lever seems to be mushier in spots, and no leaks anywhere-so I ruled that out.

Neither of those amounts seems like a lot to me for that situation expecially with floating calipers, but that's the only thing I can think of.

So what's the runout tolerance?? Anyone know?? Manual doesn't say!

THANKS!

Also, I'm pricing tire and wheel packages-I want .190 rims-ITP or DOUGLAS--which is better?

Rocky Mountain seems cheapest and they have served me well, so I'm buying from them-I want 21 inch fronts and 20"rears on 10" rims. Either XCR's on rear or RAZR's-want something trail/X-Country/Handling oriented. Holeshots are more expensive and the XCR's are out of stock, should I just go with the RAZR's? They look like they'd clean out better anyways, especially the fronts.

Any cheaper deals than Rocky MTN?

Any opinions??

Thanks again!!

Justin

08-10-2002, 08:39 PM
2.5 mm or somin it says on the rotor, my right front hit in one spot too and i had to buy a new rotor and my caliper was scratched but my rims fine, i think the rotor wore down and heat plus the thin rotor caused it to warp thats what ahppend to me

Drtridr18
08-11-2002, 05:54 PM
That 2.5 millimeter dimension is referring to rotor thickness...1mm. is equal to .039 inches.

I need to know runout...in other words, "waviness", or how warped it's allowed to be w/o supposedly causing a problem.

I just want to know so I don't go buying new rotors and having that not be the problem.

I'd just figured I'd ask all you people before I called the villiage idiot at local Honda dealership.

Thanks for your help!!

08-11-2002, 07:20 PM
well if the rotor is warped u need a rotor so....id buy the rotor

SGA
08-12-2002, 06:22 AM
According to your measurements, I'd say its time for a right front rotor. A warped rotor will build heat and wear out pads.
Make sure to get .190 rims. Both razrs and holeshots are good tires, you can't go wrong with either one. I run razrs, my friend runs holeshots. We both agree theres not much difference in handling or wear. We do agree they handle better than the stock tires.

Drtridr18
08-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Hey thanks a lot, I appreciate your reply about the tire opinion and the rotor. The cheapest rotors I've found are "TITAX" from Rocky Mountain also for about 50 bones as i remember vs. like 80 for EBC. Should I get both to keep it even, they're not real worn, still on stock pads, but will buy new ones-I work as a journeyman in a machine shop, would you reccomend trying to straighten it out a bit?

Thanks again

SGA
08-12-2002, 07:58 PM
You should try to use the same type of discs on the front wheels. A different style may cause it to pull left or right. Service Honda has oem discs for $101- ouch! You could try to turn it down some in the shop, it may work. You should be able to find a good used one at one of the big shops, alot of racers change their brake discs to the racing style.

Drtridr18
08-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Yea I just checked Service Honda too...man that's not cheap, figured I might try OEM for the whole quality thing, but when it's 50 bones more a piece than the "TITAX" brand Rocky Mountain carries.... Interesting point about buying both at the same time...pullling left or right or wearing at different rates.

Man I hate to spend money when I have to...does that make sense?

Drtridr18
08-12-2002, 08:46 PM
My bad...

I'm gonna take off the rotor, try to bend it back in the one spot(its a small area-worked on a dirt bike I had once '91 Suz. DR250), thought of turning, but would get ****ty finish w/o a pretty elaborate setup, and grinding it out would be a *****..if i can get it within .005 or less on a surface plate like the rest I think it will be ok, if not...it's new rotor time:(.

Thanks

SGA
08-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Well, since the left side is o/k, at least you only need one disc if you go oem. Heck, try one of the $50 ones, what do you have to loose?
I turned a quad disc down on the brake lathe one time. it worked good. Took the warp right out! sold the quad a couple of years later, still going strong.
Yeah, I hate to shell out also:(