PDA

View Full Version : Hard Steering??

trx416m
05-31-2006, 07:02 PM
When i try to steer my 450r it seems REALLY stiff compared to my old 400ex, i checked the steering stem bearings, and clamp, also the tie rods. Eventually i figured out it was the ball joints on my new JRD long travel a-arms. I have been wd40ing the ball joints and it doesnt seem to help. I was wondering if it was the caster camber adjustement, because when i lift up on the front it becomes even harder to turn?

thanx for the help

trx416m
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
anyone??

400exrules
06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
dont use wd40, after wd40 dries it becomes very sticky

bwamos
06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Sounds like your tie rod ends may be binding. Make sure they have free movement on both ends when rolling the rod forward and backwards. You want maximup possible movement so you minimize the possibility of binding throughout the travel of the wheel.

If you don't intentionally set it this way, you garauntee binding, because simply tightening the tie rods locknut down will cause it to be in the incorrect location if you don't immobilize the opposite end.

As you can see the correct version allows 60 deg of rotation, whereas the incorrect version only allows 20 deg of rotation.

Chino886
06-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Sounds like your tie rod ends may be binding. Make sure they have free movement on both ends when rolling the rod forward and backwards. You want maximup possible movement so you minimize the possibility of binding throughout the travel of the wheel.

If you don't intentionally set it this way, you garauntee binding, because simply tightening the tie rods locknut down will cause it to be in the incorrect location if you don't immobilize the opposite end.

As you can see the correct version allows 60 deg of rotation, whereas the incorrect version only allows 20 deg of rotation.

HUH:confused:

400exMO
06-02-2006, 04:04 PM
That made no sence to me, please explain again, I would love to konw.

trx416m
06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
i figured it out, the ball joints are just really tight so hopefully overtime they will losen up.

400exrider707
06-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by trx416m
i figured it out, the ball joints are just really tight so hopefully overtime they will losen up.

Some loosen right up and others you really have to work them. I know guys who put them in a vice and work them around with pliers until they loosen up.

trx416m
06-04-2006, 07:03 AM
all right thanks

fireblade954
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I have the same problem. I have regular travel Houser's, and someone said the ball joints should loosen up after time. I'm still waiting. I did notice that the lower part of the spindle is contacting the lower a-arm causing it to bind when the front suspension is fully extended.

400exMO
06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by fireblade954
I have the same problem. I have regular travel Houser's, and someone said the ball joints should loosen up after time. I'm still waiting. I did notice that the lower part of the spindle is contacting the lower a-arm causing it to bind when the front suspension is fully extended.
that's not good, did you buy the aarms new from houser? They should replace them if they're hitting.

fireblade954
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately I didn't buy them from Houser. They were already on the quad when I bought the quad. But, I'm going to give Houser a call to see if they have any ideas or what they can do. If worst case, I'll just grind some clearance on the spindle. There seems to be enough material.

The good thing is the problem is helping with training, but it does tend to make me expend more energy for racing.