PDA

View Full Version : making 400ex wider.

tyler3400
05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
i woudl like to get a little more stability out of my 400 but at the moment i dont have money for extended a-arms and probably wont untill next summer or late this summer.. coudl i jsut buy a extended axle and leave front stock width or will this not handle good at all?

flauge
06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
You could get some spacers for the rear. I put some on mine a couple weeks back and it helped out a lot with stability; its a lot less tippy.. I wouldnt advise them on the front tho...

04TRX400EX
06-04-2006, 01:37 AM
You really don't want the rear to be wider than the front. A lot of times people setup the front of the quad wider than the rear but not the other way around. You can use spacers but it should be a temporary fix. If you want more width you have to go with some wider a-arms and then an extended axle to match.

tyler3400
06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
alright thanks, i guess it will be staying the stocok width as i dont want to mess with the wheel spacers.. for xc racing would i wanna keep it stock width or like a plus 1 or plus 2?

boricua
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
You really don't want the rear to be wider than the front. A lot of times people setup the front of the quad wider than the rear but not the other way around. You can use spacers but it should be a temporary fix. If you want more width you have to go with some wider a-arms and then an extended axle to match.

why is that? i have seen wider axles with stock arms, the rider said he notice more stability....what differences are there with that combonation?

WickedATVer
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
$200 bucks go to ebay and find the widening kit for a 400ex. It moves the shock and A-arm mounts out and keeps all the old hardware except the tie rods which come with the kit. That or just flip your front rims and add four washers between the studs and the rim so the valve stem clears the caliper and make sure the studs are really ! tight! $80 bucks or so for rear spacers.

DOHC
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by WickedATVer
$200 bucks go to ebay and find the widening kit for a 400ex. It moves the shock and A-arm mounts out and keeps all the old hardware except the tie rods which come with the kit. That or just flip your front rims and add four washers between the studs and the rim so the valve stem clears the caliper and make sure the studs are really ! tight! $80 bucks or so for rear spacers.
r they any good?

WickedATVer
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
What the widening kit? Yah I rode a kids that i race withs 400 with the widening kit and its a world of differance compared to my stock way less tippy plus it is a complete kit and your stock brake lines will work with it. want a link to the add?

WickedATVer
06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-A-arms-Shocks-Widening-Kit-or-Any-Model_W0QQitemZ4646156899QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43974Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They keep gettin cheaper!

PismoLocal
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I ran a wider axle with a stock front for about 6 months the axle improves handling over a stock rear end. It makes the rear of the quad want slide more too.

tyler3400
06-05-2006, 06:06 PM
is this wideing kit you guys are talking about pretty strong and reliable i dont want to use the wheeler spacers as i dont trust them any one have this on theres? also how hard is it to install pretty straight forward?

WickedATVer
06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't own one but I have riden two differant machines with the widening kit on them. A 450r and a 400ex These wheelers go through alot of abuse on our local tracks and none of have had problems. The install is all bolt on no welding and I believe it says in the add that all the bolts come with the kit. The only thing I've seen that i didn't like was some washers may have to be put on the sides of the upper shock mount. Look at the ebay add its a cool concept and it works as far i know.

here look at this link the pics show the kit way better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4618674032&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

400exstud
06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I can't believe that I am the first to say this:

Wheel spacers - only good for light use
Widening kits - BAD! You want the A-arm pivit point as close to center as possible.
Flipping the rims - BAD! Increases bumpsteer and overall stress on the front end.

Having a wider rear end isn't necessarily bad. Nearly all ATVs come stock this way.

The only way to widen an ATV the right way is A-arms or an axle. If you cannot afford to do it the right way do not do anything at all.

Snow
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
If your not jumping, spacers might get you through a summer or two. Maybe some offset front rims? Go for the axle either way, most are adjustable now so if you dont like it wider than the front put it to stock until you get the arms.

tyler3400
06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
ok so spacers are deffienlty out most of my riding is riding on the 2 motocross tracks out behind my hosue and then some trail riding. im going to be racing soem xc but also goign to try some motocross i dont want to go extremely wide so that this way i can still do the xc .. i think im jsut goign to look into the axle for now liek the guy above said i can always adjsut it as long as i get the right axle.thanks

1fst400
06-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I have one of them hokey front end extender kits. It moves the a-arm mounts and the shock mounts out.

It is in a box now. there is like a gaziloion bolts with it. probly 3-4 are lost. I stoped useing it because the tie rod broke that came with the kit.

I was a sucker and bought it for 200$, RIP OFF. off ebay.

If you want it, its yours for 50$ shiped.