PDA

View Full Version : rear hub

400exrider720
05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
how are the bolts in the rear hub held in? I just tried to get my tire off and the one bolt just spun on the other side. Is it welded or just fit in?Need help!!!!
Thanks

JOEX
05-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider720
how are the bolts in the rear hub held in? I just tried to get my tire off and the one bolt just spun on the other side. Is it welded or just fit in?Need help!!!!
Thanks
I belive they are pressed in probably with splines that mesh with the hub, not sure exactly. I haven't had this problem yet but have read about it here.

A couple of possible work arounds are: if you have access to a welder, tack the stud to the hub then remove nut as usual. Probably need a decent tack weld to get the nut off.

Another option that may work is to clamp onto the back side of the stud with some vise grips and have one person hold that while removing the lug nut.

Good luck...

jdboy
06-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
A couple of possible work arounds are: if you have access to a welder, tack the stud to the hub then remove nut as usual. Probably need a decent tack weld to get the nut off.

I beleive you will run into problems trying to weld a steel lug to an aluminum hub.

cdrookie
06-01-2006, 10:07 AM
my hubs are steel

400exrider720
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I planned on tacking it but i wanted to know first. So i have a 2000 400ex and the hub is aluminum?