PDA

View Full Version : coolant problem

trx450jason
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
One of my coolant hoses got a hole in it the other day. I had another hose laying around that fit so I put it on. Then I refilled the bike with coolant to the upper fill mark. Right after all of this the bike began to overheat. I thought it wasn't getting enough coolant somehow. My guess is that there was an air bubble in it because after the bike sat for a day the coolant level went all the way down so the air bubble must have gone away somehow. Anyway now that I have refilled it again I think there is another air bubble in the system somewhere because the bike is running hot. Is there anyway to get the air bubbles out without having to drain all the coolant out again?

shamisc
05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
You should fill the radiator and the overflow bottle to the upper line. Remove the cap from the radiator and fill it, once it's filled, start the bike. It should gargle and the level should go down, so keep filling the radiator until it's full. Stop the engine, replace the cap, and check the reservoir. Top it off if needed. Hopefully this will fix your problem.:cool:

trx450jason
05-31-2006, 12:56 PM
That helps a lot but I thought you was just suppose to fill it though the overflow?

Coolidge
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by trx450jason
That helps a lot but I thought you was just suppose to fill it though the overflow?

....YIKES! :eek2: Good thing you posted your question here.
Good luck

trx450jason
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
....YIKES! :eek2: Good thing you posted your question here.
Good luck

Haha yeah I'm still figuring a lot of this stuff out. So how full do you fill the radiator? Thanks

Coolidge
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
....fill radiator to top, preferably while running, and warm. Then fill your reservoir to spec. Check again after a warm-up/cool-down period. Good luck

dirtriderex
05-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey do you race dist. 17?

trx450jason
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
District 17 and 18 when i have enough money to race haha. This gets expensive.