PDA

View Full Version : stock 400 what should i do to get started and what do i need

10-08-2001, 07:15 PM
I want to start raceing next summer and i need to know what to do and what i would need to start . i want to start mx not tt or like the baja. So tell me what you know thanks!.:devil

10-09-2001, 02:29 PM
A good set of handlebars, nerfs, kill switch to start. Maybe get some MX tires to help on the handling,,,there's a lot of things you can get to help,,,too many to list,,,look below at my signature,,,that's a good list,,,but you can run a stock bike and get by,,,,but the nerfs,,kill switch, and handlebars are almost a must..reason I say handlebars is I've bent 2 sets of stocker bars just from landing from a jump,,,I guess I could loose some weight too.....;) :D

Tommy 17
10-09-2001, 02:38 PM
ricos got it pretty much covered there the only things i say u must have are a set of nerfs and teather switch and headlight covers those are mandatory... some things that will help u out would be a gripper seat, better bars, better tires smaller size 18x11x8. u don't need any of these but it will help u. u can go out on a stock 400ex and smoke 330rs it all depends on the rider and how big ur ballz are. if u really got some money to sink into ur quad buy shocks, a-arms, axles, brake lines, je piston, xr 400 cam, k&n filter, and lots more. these are not nessary but u will probably do much better wit them the only thing about racing is its a money game. i raced on a my 80 and i will never forget my first race i was sittin waiting to go out for practice and my buddy on a rm125 hits a jump right next to me come up short he knew it so he bailed in the air hit the ground and the bike did 2 flips and bent renthal twin walls like nuttin supposed to be un bendable. u will love racing so many good memories of stuff i could go on forever. u will remeber it forever.

10-16-2001, 08:36 PM
well i ran my first race on a stock 400 with a pro circuit slip on and k&n filter, bald rear tires, no rear brakes and managed 5th out of 13 over all...so you really don't need anything other that a kill switch and nerfs......and helmet and stuff but i'd wait before you go and dump abunch of $$ into your quad and race a few times too see if you like it

10-19-2001, 05:56 PM
don't forget to buy some good riding gear...safty is number one

3punksdad's trash removal service :)

10-24-2001, 04:53 PM
Basically what I'd reccomend is a pair of comfortable handlebars (even if they're the stock bars), a Motion Pro tether kill switch, headlight covers, nerf bars, an exhaust, +2 a-arms, and a +4 axle. Also, LOTS of practice. The more experience you have under your belt, the better you'll do despite your mods.

JabberJaw
10-24-2001, 05:29 PM
The more experience you have under your belt, the better you'll do despite your mods.

Funny! That's what she said too!

11-01-2001, 07:48 PM
Get ready to strap the next size nuts on. Good luck bro, I hope you do well.