PDA

View Full Version : Stock YFZs dont run good or what??

allaboutHP
05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
My friend just bought an 06 yfz450 and he thought it would smoke my cousins 05 trx450r, both quads were bone stock, same skill level of riding. after an argument of which one was faster they dragged on a gravel road and the trx pulled the yrz on every gear, especially on top end. I thought the 06 yfz was suppose to be really quick?? does it just need a pipe to open it up??

Bill Fuller
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Jetting effects alot also.I love my YFZ and I have rode Hoda all my life,whatever makes you happy.

allaboutHP
05-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I have rode all the 450s and i like them alot, they all have their strengths and weeknesses, i just thought the yfz packed more of a punch than that.

250r4life
05-30-2006, 09:51 PM
there is some other variable, b/c the trx should not be smoking the yfz, especially not an 05 trx vs an 06 yfz

drue4mpg
05-31-2006, 12:49 AM
yes. But with the right pipe, jets, and intake....you'll get alot more out of an alerdy diald in machine!! stock mine didn't preform as well i'm 6'1" 200lbs it was hard to keep the wheels spinnin fast enough..but i put the GYT-R titainum full, pro-stock in-take, and GYT-R jets and now i can slide around much better and wheelie easier.

firefighterjosh
05-31-2006, 02:06 AM
05 TRX must of had a HRC Kit. Is the exhaulst gutted? If so yes it would walk all over a YFZ I have seen it done. If the TRX did not have the HRC kit is just got better traction on the "gravel" road. YFZ stock is faster then a 05trx. Now 06 TRX are faster then a YFZ.

Just put a cam in the yfz and gut the pipe and jet it. He will love it and walk all over that TRX.

CHEVYZ
05-31-2006, 06:36 AM
You would be surprised at the true factors of a race besides the name or model of bike, eh? Different bikes just run different for many reasons. Don't feel disappointed in your buddies YFZ because it lost that race. Hell, I have raced YFZs with (Many) more mods than what I had on my TRX, and still ate them up. I seriously doubt that I could do that to most... and who knows, maybe somewhere else that YFZ could have eaten my TRX for breakfast. As for making that YFZ fast, just open that thing up a bit. Get a good exhaust, do the cam mod, tune the carb, and just some other light things and that sucker should rip. I ride with a ton of YFZs and I can tell you, all it takes is a little work and they are no slouches at all. Personally, I would have bought one if it weren't for the fact that I am just so damn uncomfortable on one. All in all though, all the 450s are pretty damn near close with equal mods, it just depends on where yo are riding them at.:macho

Carl_YFZ
05-31-2006, 08:07 AM
the jetting is probably the cause. Stock jetting is wayyyyy too poor!

jal232
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
What cam mod are you talking about here? I have the pipe, filter, and jetted my bike.. Like a new cam, or what? Thanks

CHEVYZ
05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
I know this works on previous YFZ models, but not too sure on the 06 (It should work, but hell, I am no expert on the YFZs). The cam mod consists of changing the timing with the cams. If I am correct, you retard the exhaust am one tooth. From what I understand, the YFZ comes advanced one tooth on the exhaust timing when compared to the dirtbike engine. Doing this changes the timing of the bike and therefore you will see some pretty good power gains.... and hey, its free! There are some internet articles describing the process.

allaboutHP
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Both machines were COMPLETELY STOCK! jetting and everything, no hrc kit, the 450r pulled it every gear even after they switched riders. An 05' 450r must run pretty good becasue it beat it. its just small gravel on the road. they both spun like crazy. I rode the yfz and i was not impressed at all. it felt like a z400 that sat lower and handled better. the trx felt stronger when i rode it. im not biased or anything i am just wondering if there is something wrong with my friends yfz or not. he said today he is gettin the gytr slip on but hes not rejetting?? does that make any sense at all??

firefighterjosh
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
When I talked to Yamaha they said they could put the dirtbike cam in the YFZ gut the exhuaslt and jet it for $300 not too bad

Ride1Rob
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
There's NO WAY a 05 TRX is outrunning an 06 YFZ stock for stock. Your friend has to suck riding, and you must be biased. A 05TRX doesn't pull my 04 YFZ off of the line. IT is true too that once you jet, pipe, remove lid on the YFZ it really turns it into a monster. When I 1st did mine it scared the snit outta me:eek2: . I race TT and a friend of mine has an 04TRX pipe, jets, HRC kit, and 13-1 high comp piston and he doesn't have that bottom end that my bike does and my motor is still stock.

YFZ450Ridr
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
When I talked to Yamaha they said they could put the dirtbike cam in the YFZ gut the exhuaslt and jet it for $300 not too bad

no thats very very bad. way to over priced. rejetting is only a matter of dialing it in and gutting the exhaust takes about 5 mins. for the cam mod you dont put a dirtbike cam in it, you just rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth so it matches the dirtbike timing and runs alot better. they de-tune qudas for some reason. all of that should cost you about 20 bucks, not 300.

firefighterjosh
05-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
no thats very very bad. way to over priced. rejetting is only a matter of dialing it in and gutting the exhaust takes about 5 mins. for the cam mod you dont put a dirtbike cam in it, you just rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth so it matches the dirtbike timing and runs alot better. they de-tune qudas for some reason. all of that should cost you about 20 bucks, not 300.

cam mod you dont put a dirtbike cam in it, you just rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth so it matches the dirtbike timing and runs alot better.

I know about the jetting and eshaust only takes a little time, But I didn't know you could just adjust the timing and get the same results. Thats why $300 dosen't sounds bad is because it comes with a cam. Learn something new everyday:D

CHEVYZ
06-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
There's NO WAY a 05 TRX is outrunning an 06 YFZ stock for stock. Your friend has to suck riding, and you must be biased. A 05TRX doesn't pull my 04 YFZ off of the line. IT is true too that once you jet, pipe, remove lid on the YFZ it really turns it into a monster. When I 1st did mine it scared the snit outta me:eek2: . I race TT and a friend of mine has an 04TRX pipe, jets, HRC kit, and 13-1 high comp piston and he doesn't have that bottom end that my bike does and my motor is still stock. Actually, you would be surprised at how much results can vary. My buddy has an 05 YFZ and I can launch him everytime, and can pull everytime I hit another gear. Like I said, neither bikes are stock though. I rode his bike and like the way it the revs come in... and I wonder if that is what gives the YFZ the greater bottom end feel. From what I understand the YFZ gets all of that hit or feel on the bottom because it has a very light flywheel (Lighter than that of the 450r). In any effect, I have heard of stock 05 450rs beating stock 06s. I do not doubt it, it could happen. BUT, I have ridden both of mine bone stock- the 05 sucked and the 06 was alot stronger. Results may vary. :ermm:

allaboutHP
06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
I am not biased at all other than the fact that i like honda,suzuki,and yamaha and hate polaris. The guy on the 05 trx has had a sport quad for 2 weeks and the guy on the yamaha has been racing cross country for 2 seasons now so if anything they rider on the yamaha is better. the guy on the yamaha was 10 pounds heavier if that makes such a huge difference. even the guy on the yamaha said it wasnt that impressive after he lost. anyways, i didnt mean to start an argument over this, i just wanted to know if the yamaha is running ok or not.

2001Toomey
06-02-2006, 07:59 AM
How many hours does the YFZ have on it? If it's not broken in yet, you're missing on at least a couple of horses, as opposed to a broken in yet still nice and fresh 05 TRX. Race again after there's some hours on the YFZ and report back to us.
I know that my RM with anything less than 1 hour on a new piston is a total dog.