PDA

View Full Version : 400ex k@N on a 450r?

red4r
05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Wil a 400ex K@N air filter work on a 450?
another question how do u clean the stock foam filter...? ive always had kandN's...?

eganracing
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
pretty sure it wont fit.

trick250r
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
nope

red4r
05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
why not? cuz it fits on mine it was just a little loose untill i put the clamp on...if i do run with it on there are there any risks?

ryann mx68
05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
i thought the 400ex and 04-05 450r had the same filter. 06 450 is diff though.

eganracing
05-30-2006, 08:56 PM
i was talkin about the 06. the design of the filter is totally different compared to the 400. maybe it works on the 04 -05

QuadJunkies
05-31-2006, 02:18 AM
I brought this topic up before and I was told by K&N they do not make one for the 06 yet. :( They told me to chekc back in a few months... MAYBE then:ermm: no guarentees.

firefighterjosh
05-31-2006, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by red4r
Wil a 400ex K@N air filter work on a 450?
another question how do u clean the stock foam filter...? ive always had kandN's...?

I would stick with foam. Foams seems to filter dirt better.

how do u clean the stock foam filter...?

1. Take the cage out of the filter
2. Rinse the filter by running warm water inside the filter flushing outwards. This rinses bigger particals out instead of pushing them farther into the filter.
4. Use dish soap (I prefer dawn with grease remover stuff) lather the filter all over with you hands.
5. Rinse like step 2
6. Repeat until clean
7. Let filter air dry or use hair dryer (do not melt filter)
8. re-apply filter oil.

DO NOT:
Clean Filter with Gas or Diesel. Eat will eat foam filters.
Use compressed air. It can damage filter.

I guess it is just easier to say use dish soap or airfilter cleaner and stay away from anything else.

xsr_racing28c
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
i have a brand new in box 450r k&n filter with outerwears... make offer..

05-31-2006, 10:17 AM
i bought a uni for my 05, and it said 400ex, 450r right on the label.

QuadJunkies
05-31-2006, 10:18 AM
We have always preferred K&N's ourselves.. The foam is no doubt a great protector, but K&N can be too if you take care to do your maintence. The Foam is pretty restrictive and we do not run in alot of mud and such so if and when the K&N for the 06 is avail. we will be making the switch.To each there own I guess.

CHEVYZ
05-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I am the same way QJ. I have run both, I just prefer the K&N material alot more when compared to foam. As far as fitting, I cannot tell you, but the filters on the bikes as far as design is appears to be completely different. I have no clue as to if it will work properly, or just get in the way.

eganracing
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We have always preferred K&N's ourselves.. The foam is no doubt a great protector, but K&N can be too if you take care to do your maintence. The Foam is pretty restrictive and we do not run in alot of mud and such so if and when the K&N for the 06 is avail. we will be making the switch.To each there own I guess.

FYI the K&N for the 06 is available. its been available for about 3 months. i have one and it works great. got to http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx . they have a precharger for it too.;)

QuadJunkies
05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
How about a direct link?? I called them 2 months ago and it was not avail. when I called them. I dunno why they would say that then.:ermm:
That would be GREAT to get before out duning trip!

eganracing
05-31-2006, 11:32 PM
what do u mean direct? all u got to do is fill in there questions and it takes u to there product.

QuadJunkies
05-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Um... yeah, I know :rolleyes:
Ill call them actually tomorrow instead.

eganracing
05-31-2006, 11:38 PM
o sorry i didnt understand that u wanted to call them. hope they can get u what u need for your trip.

QuadJunkies
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
there is confusion on tha part # I know about the
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=BD-6500

Im still learning all this new stuff on the 450r so bear with me ...lol but .. My ole man didnt like the fact that its literally half the size of the Stock one.. He told me that there is a decent amt of flow to work with by converting to a K&N, but if its half the size of the stock then is that really worth it ??
I dunno all ther ins and outs, but we didnt see how that filter is benificial.
We didnt want to buy the ProFlow kit either.

The only thing you can get now in the K&N is the proflow kit with K&N it will be months before a regular k&N will be ready for the 06 as the manufactures that make the proflow kits have contracts with K&N to manufacture their filters first... That came from a member who heard this .

I was however told to contact these guys... I just havent had th spare time to do so..

http://www.kbratv.com/page008.html

hope that all made sense! :)

Im just a gal trying to learn and absorb all this stuff :ermm: LOL

eganracing
05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
there isnt a gain to getting the k&N. it gets to a point where the surface area is so large that it dosent matter what the material is. i bought the K&N direct replacement because i think there easier to clean(just my opinion). i have had multiple people tell me u have to buy the pro flow kit which isnt true. i just bought a filter. no special brackets or anything. the only problem with the K&N is u have to do something with the trans breather( i bought a mini K&N filter and put it on the tube). hope im helping inform u on the k&n.

QuadJunkies
06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by eganracing
the only problem with the K&N is u have to do something with the trans breather( i bought a mini K&N filter and put it on the tube). hope im helping inform u on the k&n.

I talked to my Husband and he said he already knew about that part as well, I did not .;)
thanks for the info though.

xsr_racing28c
06-02-2006, 09:01 AM
I run a K&N on my ESR kit, and I was kinda worried about running the K&N at first and after the first race, i looked at it and it seemed to be fine... I have an outerwears on it right now and clean it after every race/ride and i havn't had a problem with it.

If your not into keeping up on maintenance on your machine then the K&N isn't for you. But for people like me who go over everything after every time i ride, the K&N is definatly a good filter to use.

~Jay

red4r
06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
well this tipic changed lol i like k*n there great...
back on topic but in my air box theres a little rubber tube that sit against the filter and the tube goes to the engine...wut is it? its kinda just bent upwards right now cuz it cant push it the k&n like the foam...

eganracing
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by red4r
well this tipic changed lol i like k*n there great...
back on topic but in my air box theres a little rubber tube that sit against the filter and the tube goes to the engine...wut is it? its kinda just bent upwards right now cuz it cant push it the k&n like the foam...

that tube is a transmission breather. if u run a k&n all u need to do is cut that tube to a point where u can mount some kind of filter. i bought a mini k&n filter for the end of that tube from ESR and i havent had any problems.