05-31-2006, 09:20 AM
why are you posting it in the yfz thread

you should be posting it in the trx450r thread

YFZ450Ridr
05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by jimmy123_272
why are you posting it in the yfz thread

you should be posting it in the trx450r thread

shouldnt you be in the banshee section? any one is free to post where they want..

pharit
05-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
shouldnt you be in the banshee section? any one is free to post where they want..

PWNAGE

250r4life
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
just cuz he rides a 450 doesnt mean he wasnt asking about the 07 yfz... i'd be curious to know what the changes will be, since i will likely buy a yfz within the year...

logan_450R
05-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry I Meant the King of Kings the Yamaha 450

jeff graves
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
fuel injection>

stonerkid250
05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Fuel injection definaly

Possible Centered exaust? who knows

jeff graves
05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
the word is as of tonight that kawasaki will have there 450 out for 07 fuel injected,with the bells and whistles and reverse.not a press release but from a dealer thats at a convention,wooo the green is back in town cant wait to see it.

250r4life
05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
man, i hope yamaha doesnt go and throw FI on this thing... i will definately be getting an 06 if so

jimmy123_272
06-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr

you dont get it it was a joke

rpyfz450
06-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by stonerkid250
Possible Centered exaust?

Why would anyone want that?

BlueArmyYFZ450
06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
center exhuast would be great, havent you ever seen sombody destroy the can on their pipe by hitting the brake calliper?

if its efi, has centered exhaust, is a bit wider, maybe has better shocks, and is still blue, then ill get one the day they come to america

Toadz400
06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by BlueArmyYFZ450
center exhuast would be great, havent you ever seen sombody destroy the can on their pipe by hitting the brake calliper?

if its efi, has centered exhaust, is a bit wider, maybe has better shocks, and is still blue, then ill get one the day they come to america

I highly doubt it'll be wider. That was one of the major mistakes Suzuki made when they produced their 450. Making it wider only makes it available to the MX crowd, and everyone knows that not everyone rides MX. A large portion of quad riders are just recreational and ride woods, so a wider YFZ would be pointless. If the '07's are wider I will definately be buying something else...I barely fit the trails as it is at stock.

hartnett18
06-06-2006, 02:36 PM
i think hes right^ they need to keep the front ends the way they are. and i think the centered exuast is somthing different but it is still weird looking..

tt racer
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
What the he!! is the difference if you have to buy a different offset or a-arms to get the quad where you want it. I think suzuki will sell everyone they make. The mx guys and duners need there cost efective choices too.:mad:

jimmy123_272
06-07-2006, 08:47 AM
you can get -1 a-arms and stuff like that and most poeple will upgrade ther a-arms and shocks and stuff anyway so they might as well get the -1 kits and stuff if they are gonna spend moiney anyway

250r4life
06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by tt racer
What the he!! is the difference if you have to buy a different offset or a-arms to get the quad where you want it. I think suzuki will sell everyone they make. The mx guys and duners need there cost efective choices too.:mad:

if you wanna be cost effective stick to basket weaving :devil:

jk...

250r4life
06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
JMO, but i think the suzukis are gay... out of all the 06's i would take the YFZ hands down... it feels just fine to me... i dont need to widen it or anything...

Toadz400
06-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by jimmy123_272
you can get -1 a-arms and stuff like that and most poeple will upgrade ther a-arms and shocks and stuff anyway so they might as well get the -1 kits and stuff if they are gonna spend moiney anyway

The reason why they should keep it at the width it is because people who just ride for fun don't get +3 a-arms and shocks all around. It would be stupid to sell a 450 JUST for MX racing and not have one for XC/Recreational. And the thing about a quad being wider stock, it's nearly pointless because almost every MX racer gets new a-arms and shocks anyway. Releasing the YFZ with wider a-arms would definately drive away a lot of customers.

06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
The reason why they should keep it at the width it is because people who just ride for fun don't get +3 a-arms and shocks all around. It would be stupid to sell a 450 JUST for MX racing and not have one for XC/Recreational. And the thing about a quad being wider stock, it's nearly pointless because almost every MX racer gets new a-arms and shocks anyway. Releasing the YFZ with wider a-arms would definately drive away a lot of customers.
The YFZ was made to be race ready, if you want a trail/recreational quad thats why they made the Raptor 700.

The point is if they had decent shocks and a-arms from the factory racers wouldnt have to change them, its rare to see a dirtbike rider put that much cash into their suspension to make it decent for a race, it should be the same for mx quads.

250r4life
06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
the YFZ was not made to be race ready... in fact neither was the LTR... likes its been stated already- the hardcore racers are always going to buy the aftermarket stuff anyways... and by making them race ready, all youre gunna do is raise the prices of ATVs for everybody... shoot- ATVs have already become considerably more expensive....

down at the dunes, you'll see tons of the 450s that dont have the a-arms and axles and all that jazz... most people get a pipe and motor mods before they do that other stuff... i would probably be just fiine with stock YFZ...

i would like to get aftermarket shocks for my R, but i would be fine with some nice Elkas all the way around, possibly long travel... but i dont need a wider axle or a arms or anything... i like my bike how it is

DieselBoy
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
If they made it fuel injected in 07, you know what that means?!? Everyone will be selling their 2004s, 2005s CHEAP, and OH YES that's good news for me:D

PowerJunkie
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
i think it would be cool for yamaha to make two quads a racing one and a where ever the he!! you ride one. but its true the yfz450 is sopposed to be race ready from the box. but even if they did widen it. everyone would still have to put alot of$$$ into it to make it race ready and still replace the aarms. i dont think yamaha is going to be putting shocks as good as elka, axis, pep. the price would rise to almost to much for a quad for today. maybe in the future the price of a quad can be that high but idk think now.

DieselBoy
06-09-2006, 07:42 PM
why would you have to still switch the arms if they were wide enough?

Toadz400
06-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
why would you have to still switch the arms if they were wide enough?

A lot of people go to aftermarket a-arms anyway. Usually the ball joints are better/stronger and the a-arm as a whole is stronger. Also many hardcore racers go the way of long travel.

Then you have the case of the recreational riders who don't need the wide a-arms, in which case they would have to buy the shortened a-arms just to be able to ride it on their trails (my case). If Yamaha were to release the new YFZ450 with only the wider a-arms, I would find another quad to buy.

Jekyl_22
06-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Now let's think about this....

Dirt bikes, they don't take hardly any money at all (if even any) to be competitive in MX racing. Some say, "Well, MX racers are going to replace those things anyways...(quads)" Well if quads continue to improve, then maybe someday we won't have to. Dirt bikes have come a long ways in the last few years, and quads could do the same.

A stock quad that is 50" wide, has long-travel suspension, and good stock power output would be pretty competitive in my book. If the stock machine could start to catch up to the aftermarket, then aftermarket parts wouldn't be such a neccesity. And eventually, a stock quad could hold it's own against an aftermarket quad. Then competition would be based even more on rider skill rather than machine (which is the way it should be).

In all reality, it wouldn't cost the manufacturer much more at all to make a quad 50" wide w/ long-travel suspension. Will they make it a lot more expensive to buy? Probably not a ton if they make the changes over time (as opposed to completely redesigning it as aforementioned in just one year).

You are a recreational rider you say? You don't want a quad that is that wide? Well, maybe yamaha will offer a skinnier verison. Or maybe you will just be stuck with a bike that is made for your type of riding if you don't want to buy shorter a-arms. It's made to be "race-ready" and I darn well want it that way.

Jekyl_22
06-09-2006, 10:11 PM
The YFZ & LTR are not made to be race-ready? Whether it is or not is not in question, the fact is that Yamaha and Suzuki are taking great step in that direction (so is Honda, except for leaving 2007 unchanged). Quads are becoming more race-ready every year. Stock machines are catching up to the fully aftermarket ones in terms of competitiveness.

stock 250R vs. aftermarket 250R = no contest

stock 400ex vs. aftermarket 400ex = big difference, but still slight chance depending on riders

stock YFZ/LTR vs. aftermarket YFZ/LTR = still a decent difference, but the gap is closing

Do you see the pattern? This is exactly what dirt bikes have gone through! The stock quads are becoming more competitive against aftermarket ones. A lot of dirt bike racers (even some pros) will only add a pipe and an airfilter to their bike as far as power goes. This would have been unheard of a decade ago. Quads will experience the same thing if manufacturers continue to improve and update their "race-ready" quads. If you have a problem with progress, then maybe you should stick to a quad that isn't intended to be "RACE-READY."

zowdy
06-10-2006, 09:33 AM
well said jekyl 22.

DieselBoy
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
all i can say is the new thumpers are friggin loud at the racing track! i went damn near deaf!

Toadz400
06-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Well what about the GNCC/XC racers? We want a race-ready quad but one that won't be destroyed going through the first set of trees. MX isn't the only form of racing you know.

DieselBoy
06-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Belive it or not the amount of ATVs, even sport, are made up of non-track riders such as trails and things but there are still plenty of racing quads. However, If the rider's going to switch a-arms anyway, there's no real point in making it really wide. Should I be concerned about jumping my 400ex (stock)?

Jekyl_22
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
That's exactly my point... racers DO have to change a-arms and such, but it wouldn't stay that way if we continue to produce and advance our "Race-ready" quads.

And what about XC racers? If the manufacturers began producing stock quads that were very qell suited for MX, I have no doubts that they would produce ones well-suited for XC. I think that people who want one bike that is somewhere in the middle are ruining it for the rest of us.

I mean, Cannondale was on to something.... they offered different versions of ultimately the same machine: XC, MX, all-around, and I think an upgraded all-around bike (Blaze, Moto, Cannibal, ? ). Yamaha could do the same. The MX version wouldn't have to be as expensive as the Moto 440 because they mass produce. I think that Yamaha could offer a great MX quad (as well as the other big manufacturers) for around $8000. Obviously they could do it for less, but they are in this business for money and their price needs to be somewhat competitive.

Obviously there are TONS of riders that don't race and just ride recreationally, but it is the riders who race that are pushing for better quads. Racers are help bringing quads into the public eye, and forcing manufacturers to be more competitive with their products. It is because of racers that you have the priveledge to ride such great quads. You should thank them.

I consider myself a pretty young kid still, but I can look back at when the only production performance quad you could buy was a Banshee or for four-strokes... a Warrior. Those were sad times. This was obviously after the TRX250R, LT250R, and LT500R were discontinued (as with some others). This is when racing MX on quads was very unpopular when compared to when the 250R was being produced and when the 400EX started the 4-stroke revolution.

Racing became easier for the weekend warrior with the introduction of the 400EX, and thus racing became more popular. Another large influence was the pro-production rule (Pro class must ride an ATV that is currently in production). There were many more parts to it, but that is the parts I'm focusing on. This made it crucial for manufacturers to produce better stock quads for racing. I am rambling now... here's the point.

For all those people who don't race and say, "Well I don't need all that stuff because I just ride on trails and putt around in my field" .... I take it that you have never rode a racing quad? I mean, if you are happy with mediocre, then I'm happy that you can be. As for me, I'm not. I want them (Yamaha, Honda, etc...) to keep improving their bikes so that I can ride faster, jump higher, and keep pushing the boundaries of my skills.

Without the influence of racers, rec. riders would be stuck with Warriors and Banshees still. Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki have made 450s to satisfy the racing community. If you don't race... then just consider yourself lucky that you get the chance to pilot a quad that was not built because of you.

Jekyl_22
06-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Should I be concerned about jumping my 400ex (stock)?

I honestly don't know what exactly you are trying to ask, so I can't answer your question with any accuracy.

Please rephrase it... I'm very curious as to what you are getting at.

DieselBoy
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry. I guess that could have meant a couple things.

I'm just wondering if riding on an mx track doing tabletops and doubles whether or not I am at risk for breaking a balljoint/a-arm/etc. I don't race I just ride for fun, but I don't want to have my machine give out on me (it's stock). Hope this helps!

06-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Unless you hitting huge jumps, or casing alot (and hard) then you shouldn't have to worry. Stock stuff isn't that bad.

Toadz400
06-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Jekyl - Before you were making it sound like all others who don't race MX are completely worthless and should be ignored by the companies as far as performance goes. But when you mention the idea that Cannondale had, I cannot agree more. The companies do need to offer a race machine set up for different areas. Suzuki is not setting a good example by producing a race 450 JUST for MX. How hard is it to also have the same model with a shorter axle and shorter a-arms? This would be of course for the tight-budget MX/XC racer who can't afford the suspension and a-arms right off the bat after dumping up to 7 grand or more onto a new machine (my case).

Jekyl_22
06-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Non-MX racers aren't being ignored, and nor am I saying they should be; but MX and XC racers have been ignored for a very long time. It's time that we get a quad for us. Virtually every quad made to date has been made for all-around purposes. I just think that it's about time for racers to recieve a quad that is designed for their type of riding....

I'm sorry that I wasn't including XC/GNCC/GP/SX/AX/whatever else you can think of. We pretty much only have MX in our area, and when I say "racing"/"racers" I am intending it to refer to every type of racing.

Some rec. riders want to complain that it's too wide or the suspension is too stiff. This is why they created the Raptor, 400EX, TRX90, etc... Bikes like the YFZ were created for racing. Manufacturers created quads for different experience levels, ages, and types of riding. A raptor is an all-around bike, Banshee is dunes and drag racing, a 300ex is for "intermediate" riders, a YFZ is for racing/high-performance, etc...

I'm just saying that people need to be excited that more money is being poured into the design of quads now. I don't think that any big manufacturer would honestly build a full on MX bike, and leave the XC in the dust. That would just be ridiculous. It may seem that way for a year or maybe even two, but they would eventually offer options for both.

P.S. Stock stuff is quite strong. If you are landing correctly, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

ACEwrench
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
why do the desert guys get left out????

LOL...

we ran dales in the desert, back in the day...i dont remeber doing too much to to quad when we got them (MOTO)

they came pretty much complete all we had to do was:

*replace skid plates
*wheather proof harness
*change tires
*change gearing

i really dont see how (suk,yam,hon) they can claim race ready, my god the dales came with a kill switch, ti exhaust, holeshot tires, LT arms and shocks and axle, nerf bars, upgraded maps, steering dampener (Scott)...am i forgetting something???

sure they cost 12000 a piece too LOL

Jekyl_22
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm just saying that it would be quite possible for a big manufacturer to produce a race-ready bike (like the moto) for a lot cheaper than what Cannondale offered theirs for. Eventually I think that the 450s will be like this.

Toadz400
06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
I'm just saying that it would be quite possible for a big manufacturer to produce a race-ready bike (like the moto) for a lot cheaper than what Cannondale offered theirs for. Eventually I think that the 450s will be like this.

It is possible, it's just the problem of when they want to do it.

Cannondales were awesome machines and the thing that killed them were the prices (nothing else like it) and the fact that they had awesome customer support and pretty much warrantied everything.

From what I've read, ATK isn't doing much for the Cannondale machines either.

DieselBoy
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
personally i dont think there is enough demand for strictly race ready machines yet.

Quad18star
06-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
personally i dont think there is enough demand for strictly race ready machines yet.

That is exactly why the manufacturers don't have a completly race ready quad ..... the demand for it is too small .

Out of the hundreds of thousands of ATVs they produce every year , only a handful sold are sport quads . And out of that handful , only a small percentage goes to someone that is going to race it .

Now look at it from a marketing point of view . I'm just gunna throw out random numbers for an example ....... If a manufacturer sells 800 000 units in one year and only 20 000 are for the guys that want a race ready quad with all the bells and whistles , how much do you think it's going to cost to produce that specific quad ?? A lot of money !!!! They have to set up a completly new assembly line , have different casting molds etc . The manufacturer has to dish out millions for a small return profit . They won't allow that to happen , so they'll jack up the price of the unit to around the price a Cannondale was selling for just so that they don't go broke with a specific model .

If they produce a quad for all around use , then they make a profit cuz they aren't targetting a specific buyer . Just like with the YFZ .... the quad can be sold to a large range of people .... everyone from the racer to the weekend warrior .... guys that want to hit up the MX track or blast through the woods ... the machine will do it all . All the YFZ really needs to make it "legal" to race MX is a set of nerf bars and a killswitch . Guys have been winning races on this stock machine ... so it really is "race ready" .

The TRX250r was not designated as a race only machine . Just like the 450r and YFZ of today , the 250r was designated as a sport quad in it's time . It never came with nerf bars or a killswitch , same goes for the LT250r . Guys turned these quads into race machines , just like guys are doing today with the sport quads . They were targetted at the people that wanted a little more speed than a Utility quad .