PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder ; Comments

BUCK442
05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Looking for some feed back on the XC setup for the 05 R. I am about 195 and and Expert level rider. Thinking about getting the GT conversion with the Link on stock arms and swinger.

Only making a few races a year and just can not justify 2k in Axis or Elka. I spoke with one person last week at Salem race and he said was very close to Axis and it lowered his bike 3 inches......How true is that?

:cool:

eastside 400
05-30-2006, 02:26 PM
im not sure about XC but i got his MX linkage with MX stock revalve and respring stock rear shock and i love it, its so cheap and i was amazed that i lasted all of last year with it all stock in the rear, im sure his XC is just as good as the MX

450r4me
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
I have an o4 450r with the GT Thunder dual rate conversion in front and the conversion in the back and its great for xc racing I love how much better it handles and soaks up the bumps. Best choice I ever made.

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 450r4me
I have an o4 450r with the GT Thunder dual rate conversion in front and the conversion in the back and its great for xc racing I love how much better it handles and soaks up the bumps. Best choice I ever made.

How much did you pay for that setup, if you don't mind me asking. I don't race, but ride alot of fast trails and rough areas and am looking for a good suspension setup without spending an a**load of money.

450r4me
05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I spent 900$ and i shipped them out and got them back about a week and a half later.

BUCK442
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
How much sag does it allow you to run? Did you have to change or move your airbox?

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 450r4me
I spent 900$ and i shipped them out and got them back about a week and a half later.

Thats just shocks right? Does it give you any more travel with the stock a arms? Sorry, i don't know alot about shocks.:( I want a little more travel but mainly just better manners and something thats gonna soak up the ruff stuff.

hoopd450
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
i think its the very best modification you can do to a 450r. i've had gt revalves on two 450r's and i've also had long travel setups as well. the bikes with the revalves handled better than the one with a long travel elka front and rear. and felt about the same as the one with a lone star/pep setup. on an 04/05 you will need to raise the airbox a little with an xc setup. but the bike i have now is an 04 with an 06 rear end and the swingarm has never hit the airbox. also if you go with +1/2 or +1 a-arms, 4-1 front wheels and get a good stabilizer, your bike will handle even better. but of course those other things drive up the price of the build. the price on his website is 740, to revalve and respring all three shocks with a linkage.

hoopd450
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Here you go. this should help.

Rear Suspension

The rear suspension of the 450R has several issues that we address.

1.Insufficient up travel of the rear wheels.

2. Insufficient wheel travel for serious racing.

3. Rebound valving that is very fast. Even with the rebound adjustment turned all the way to the stiffest setting the rebound is still to fast for good handling.

We have designed several new rear linkages to help correct these issues. with added up travel of the rear wheels, added wheel travel and a good progressive rate in the rear setup, you can get greatly improved ride quality.

With these new rear linkages - you also then have an increased leverage ratio at the shock, creating a need for additional valving and sometimes spring changes. While we are in the shock adjusting the compression valving, we also correct the rebound valving at no extra charge.

Service rear shock, revalve to match your riding needs, and to match our linkage - $75.00

New Rear linkage - $175.00.

Revalve aftermarket rear shocks for this setup - $95.00

Note: Some aftermarket rear shocks have changed the compressed and/or extended lengths from stock - there will be additional charges for parts to correct this.

Revalve and link = $250.00.

Revalve, respring, and link = $345.00.

Front Shocks

The front shocks that Honda installed on this bike are good shocks, however they do have room for improvement. There are several issues that need to be addressed.

1. Spring rate – With the single rate spring that came on it stock, you do not have as much sag adjustment as what some are wanting. With our dual spring setup it lets you lower the front of your bike while still maintaining good bottoming resistance.

2. Compressed length – The compressed length of these shocks is too long to run a good sag setup. If you run a good sag setup, the shocks will bottom very easily while the frame is still several inches off the ground. We now have tooling in house to modify several shock components to let us shorten the compressed length and gain 7/8 inch shaft travel, giving us more options with this shock then previously thought possible. This modification is what makes this front shock setup unique from any others.

Dual spring kit - $195.00
Revalve and modify front shocks - $250.00

Revalve, respring and modify front shocks - $395.00

Complete Front and Rear Suspension package

Revalve shocks, new front springs, and new rear link - $645.00

Revalve and respring all 3 shocks with a new rear link - $740.00

DanW
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm racing XC on GT Thunder rebuilds and they have been bringing me good results!

I'm not going to say that any stock rebuilds would be better than aftermarket shocks that are set up correctly. But, if you could come up with a formula that converted dollar/per minute of fun.... The rebuilds would be hard to beat!

:D

Unicam450r
05-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I just actually sent my shocks to GT Thunder to be revalved recently. I decided to go with setup for the price and results that I've read from other riders with setup in the forum. I sent all 3 shocks out to Laz, the fronts are dual rate springs/revalved for your weight and the rear is single rate/revalved for weight and the mx link. I ride mostly motor cross. I will ride on the shocks weds so I will post a ride review once I get to pound the shocks through the whoops and jumps on my track. It's a good deal if you don't want to spend extra cash for aftermarket shocks though.

hope this helps

03yfz450
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
you cant bet a gt thunder link with the stock shock rebuilt..........

woodsman250r
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Laz is about the best out there to go with for a stock shock rebuild no matter what other people will say. He def. knows his stuff with shocks and puts in tons of testing with his links and shock setups. I have never heard a complaint about his work and have had him work on several of my shocks just to be amazed how well they work. I have a set of Custom Axis triple rates on the front and the stocker on the back with the XC link that were worked on by GT Thunder. Hands down these are the best shocks I have ever ridden on. Go to him for a shock rebuild and you will be amazed how close they are to aftermarket if not better in some cases.

MMcCannon
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
The only thing that bothers me, or should I say confuses me...is the sag in the back. I would prefer not to move my airbox, but don't want to bottum out on it either. Is the new link what gives more sag in the back and if so, can you keep the stock link. I am just worried that adding my big *** to a lower setup will cause problems. :ermm:

woodsman250r
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
I didn't have a problem with having to move my airbox with the XC link setup. Best thing to do is call up Laz and ask him what you should do. Or if you want a quicker response just send him an email because he is a hard guy to reach on the phone.

lsommers@bright.net
email for gtthunder

DanW
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
A new air box only costs about $20, so if it hits and cracks it... No big deal. I've never had a problem with mine.

MX#9
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
i have used GT Thunder on my last 2 450's because it has been far less money than all new shocks. i don't race much at all and just wanted something better than stock.
His setup is better than stock. I don't think they are as great as others are saying,but I only have stock to compare it to.

If I did spend 2k on aftermarket shocks and they were no better or even worse than GT Thunders setup,I would probably be sick!

I will say this: They have the best turnaround time that I have ever seen. If you send him your shocks and explain what you want,he will have them on the way back in 2 days or less.
In this respect,the guy is incredible!

j_cyrus3
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DanW
A new air box only costs about $20, so if it hits and cracks it... No big deal. I've never had a problem with mine.

20$ adds up, just spend the 55$ from Houser and get their air box lifting kit

hoopd450
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
The only thing that bothers me, or should I say confuses me...is the sag in the back. I would prefer not to move my airbox, but don't want to bottum out on it either. Is the new link what gives more sag in the back and if so, can you keep the stock link. I am just worried that adding my big *** to a lower setup will cause problems.

the reason that the swingarm comes so close to the airbox with the xc link is you have more up travel with the conversion. stock, you shock bottoms when the frame is still two or three inches off the ground. with the gt link the shock bottoms when the frame's and inch off the ground. therefore the swingarm has to go further up into the subframe area in order to get all of the added travel. so the airbox thing really doesn't have much to do with sag.

MMcCannon
06-01-2006, 10:24 PM
So the question still remains...can i run the stock link with the gt reworked shock? If so, would it still be beneficial compared to an all stock rear? If i could run the new shock on the stock link and try it out, I could always add the link later right?

j_cyrus3
06-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by MMcCannon
So the question still remains...can i run the stock link with the gt reworked shock? If so, would it still be beneficial compared to an all stock rear? If i could run the new shock on the stock link and try it out, I could always add the link later right?

I think you can. Yes, it would be beneficial, since the valving would be different. But, if I were you, I would just wait and get it all in one lick. That's your best bet bro. Because the valving might be different with the stock link, if you bought a link later on down the line your shock might need to be revalved. Just my way of thinking, I might be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am.

trx400exxracer
06-02-2006, 08:35 AM
I heard good things about Santo Derisi he can revalve and respring all 3 shocks and add the linkage in there for $525

MMcCannon
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Well thanks for the advice and help, i think i'll probably call Laz when i have the money and am ready to buy, see what he says.

j_cyrus3
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
I heard good things about Santo Derisi he can revalve and respring all 3 shocks and add the linkage in there for $525

Derisi done my 450r stock shocks, they are set up for a 220# rider and I only weigh 165, but they still ride like a dream, as long as you're on the gas. I couldn't imagine if they were set up for my weight.

STR330R
06-03-2006, 01:18 AM
I am thinking about getting revalving, resprung, but i don't know if it is worth it to get the rear linkage?? I have and 06 450r and i ride woods and dunes...

hoopd450
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I am thinking about getting revalving, resprung, but i don't know if it is worth it to get the rear linkage?? I have and 06 450r and i ride woods and dunes...

guys, you want to get the linkage. its what makes it all work so good, it lowers the bike for a better stance and uses a different leverage ratio to help smooth the travel. if you're just going to do the shock without the linkage you might as well just leave it stock and spend that money on something else. i don't even think laz would do a shock for the stock link. and even if it were revalved an sprung to work better with the stock one, it would be nowhere close if you put an aftermarket link on it later. the leverage ratio and compressed length is all different. please just spend the extra coins and get the revalve with a link and you won't be disappointed. especially if you have an 06 rear end. it works even better.

DanW
06-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hoopd450
guys, you want to get the linkage. its what makes it all work so good, it lowers the bike for a better stance and uses a different leverage ratio to help smooth the travel. if you're just going to do the shock without the linkage you might as well just leave it stock and spend that money on something else. i don't even think laz would do a shock for the stock link. and even if it were revalved an sprung to work better with the stock one, it would be nowhere close if you put an aftermarket link on it later. the leverage ratio and compressed length is all different. please just spend the extra coins and get the revalve with a link and you won't be disappointed. especially if you have an 06 rear end. it works even better.

And I'll second that.;)

STR330R
06-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Thats what i wanted to know thanks alot

prepracing
06-04-2006, 11:33 AM
any questions about GT thunder work should be answered by how well Chris Jenks is running now that GT Thunder is setting his quad up this year. He went from an occasional contender to poduim/overall contender every race now. :macho