PDA

View Full Version : Sight glass color

d3ktrix
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I was wondering how long everyone's oil stays clear for in their sight glass.
Does it stay clearish for a few rides or does it turn black a few min after you change it?

Was just wondering because when I fill my oil back up after a change it is of course totally clear in the sight glass. But as soon as I fire the bike up for even only a few min and turn it off, the oil will be totally black again.

Was just wondering if this is normal or if my engine is dirty.

I change my engine/tranny and filter after about every 5-8 hours of riding and clean my air filter every other ride or so.

MX#9
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I find it to be very common. I know I put new oil in so I don't worry about it.

05-30-2006, 02:22 PM
There is always a little dirty oil left in the top of the head. It mixes with the clean oil. Since there is so little oil in the engine, it only takes a little black oil to turn thr clean oil black.

cutierider1
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
man turns black after a few mintes as well.

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Mine turns dark quickly too, but its partially because I am stupid and usually wait to long to change it.:ermm:

DirtDevilBT
05-31-2006, 12:56 AM
If it's getting black really quick there could be contamination from the transmission. The particles from your clutch and normally trans wear could be seeping through the O-ring or gaskets that mount the engine portion to the transmission portion. When it is started there is pressure blowing by the gasket and pushing dirty trans oil into the engine through another bad gasket. Either that or you have a "one way" oil leak that is letting dirt from say an oil cooler into the lines and into the motor. That or maybe your not actually getting all the old oil out and it quickly contaminates the new oil.

LMAO: don't listen to me. It's oil, gets dirty, smells funny, likes to spill all over the garage floor, ...... some things are unstoppable. Trix o buddy o pal, you maintain your quad WAY better than most of us. 5-8 hours for both oils has to be some kind of record or something. I'll normally go every 10-15 hours for the engine and 20-25 for the tranny. If I was doing it every 5-8 hours I'd be changing it out in the dunes every day! The air filter well, gezzz *scratches head* I don't know when the last time it was I cleaned it. It's a UNI and I run an Outterwears on the airbox. Prolly got 40 hours on the filter with no dirt or sand in the intake. lol

d3ktrix
05-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I have been changing it a lot because the bike is still brand new and want to make sure it has good clean oil in it for the break in.

After a while I will start to use a higher grade oil and go a little longer on the oil changes.

And thanks for the answers, just what I was looking for =)