PDA

View Full Version : 100LL Aviation Gas

PYF
05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi, I just called the local airport to know how much 100LL sell for and it's only like 0.30 can$ more a liter than 91(93?) pump gas...

I just read this really interesting thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93870&perpage=15&highlight=100ll&pagenumber=3

and while my head is off to be shaved, I was wondering if I should shave it enough to need to run 100LL...The problem is that there is a lot of differents opinions on that gas, mainly with the 2-stroke premix issue.

Do anybody run that gas in there 250r and is it a good idea?

Thanks a lot,

Pierre-Yves

zedicus00
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
yur better off finding a race gas dealer in yur area.... 100ll rates about 97 actual octane and has things in it to make an engine run warmer... you need that at 10,000 feet elevation though... not in a atv.

PYF
05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
yur better off finding a race gas dealer in yur area.... 100ll rates about 97 actual octane and has things in it to make an engine run warmer... you need that at 10,000 feet elevation though... not in a atv.

Thanks Zedicus...Read in the thread I posted it was rated at about 116 actual octane though :huh

I really don't know where I could find real race gas around here :confused:

Scro
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Ask Colby in the C&D Racing section. He may be able to help you.

PYF
05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Ask Colby in the C&D Racing section. He may be able to help you.

Thanks

250r4life
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
man, i, and tons of people in my group, have been running av gas for years and it works great... people have negative opinions, but its always been good to us...

PYF
05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
man, i, and tons of people in my group, have been running av gas for years and it works great... people have negative opinions, but its always been good to us...

Thank for your opinion too ! Really appreciated...

Just for fun, How much compression your R have?

What about the premix ? Is the mixability good ? What oil do you use?

Thanks again,

Pierre-Yves

250r4life
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
um, my compression is at 0 right now... lol... i blew my bottom end...

it was like at 215, and it ran fine on av gas...

my buddy has an 88 that the engine is stock orignal, and av is all he has ever ran since he was the 2nd owner back in like 98...

we both run yamalube 32:1 and it mixes great and never had a problem with anything...

PYF
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
um, my compression is at 0 right now... lol... i blew my bottom end...

it was like at 215, and it ran fine on av gas...

my buddy has an 88 that the engine is stock orignal, and av is all he has ever ran since he was the 2nd owner back in like 98...

we both run yamalube 32:1 and it mixes great and never had a problem with anything...

Sorry to hear that about your engine lol :ermm:

Another question like that, is yamalube synthetic ?

I heard most of the problem with the mixing issue occurs with the synthetics oils...

Thanks again, I think I will have my head shaved for 200 PSI, I would still be on the safe side....

Maybe 210 :devil:

rebelbanshee
05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Ive been running AV gas for a few years now in a Banshee and now in my 250R. Ive had no problem with it at all. I have about 190 psi. The stuff is made to very high consistancy standards and stores way longer than regular gas. I use Amsoil and have had no problem mixing it. It only $3.87 a gallon too. As far as Im concerned the stuff is the tits.

PYF
05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
Ive been running AV gas for a few years now in a Banshee and now in my 250R. Ive had no problem with it at all. I have about 190 psi. The stuff is made to very high consistancy standards and stores way longer than regular gas. I use Amsoil and have had no problem mixing it. It only $3.87 a gallon too. As far as Im concerned the stuff is the tits.

Thanks a lot

Is there anyway I can figure out mathematically what octane I will need to use for a given compression ratio/static compression in PSI number...

250r4life
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
yah, compression is great and what not, but i would think about it before you bump yours up too high... i was up at liek 215 like i said, and was using a 19 cc dome... i havent tried it yet, but when i rebuild im going to throw a 21 cc dome in there... IMO all that compression is just added wear and tear on the engine, and i dont neccessarily like sitting at camp for a trip or having to rebuild my engine all the time... obviously it would wear out evenutally, but i had the stock bottom end until now and certainly the added compression and power contributed to it going out...

i dunno... from what i understand high compression is more for bottom end anyway, and i rarely lug mine... JMO- too much compression is overated...

but i used av gas when my bike was stock too... like the guy said, it is higher qualtiy and can be used for much longer... i wouldnt use pump gas that was over 3 weeks old if i was to use pump gas...

PYF
05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmm I don't know if it's really worth it then...

I want a good boost anywere on the powerband...

I want a faster bike overall :devil:

Pretty sure I would be pulling nice HP numbers with 200PSI :blah:

I'm aiming for 40+ Right now, then I will be pleased (for some time :devil: )

Thanks again,

Pierre-Yves