has anybody put one on their 450r?

pro's, cons?

how much weigh did you shave?

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
bump

One_Bad_400
05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
i hurd about one pound shaved off your flywheel is equivalent to around 10 pound off your bike...

cals400ex
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
i was slower when i had my 400ex flywheel shaved.

One_Bad_400
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
what?!?! that dont make no sense?! how could you be slow when lightening the flywheel makes it rev faster?!?!

trailtech
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
It will make your bike rev faster. The flywheel needs to balanced after it is shaved or you will have problems. I dont know of anyone who can shave and dynamically balance an ATV flywheel.

We make light flywheels from scratch - they are all dynamically balanced.

With a replacement flywheel, you can safely get more weight off than you can by shaving.

One_Bad_400
05-30-2006, 08:24 PM
whats you site to look at them?

trailtech
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
www.trailtech.net

400exrider707
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
trailtech is your best bet, also why would you want a lighter one, are you drag racing? The stock one is light enough, if anything I would go heavier to aid with the low speed stalling that the R suffers from if your not a big clutcher.

trailtech
05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
If your in the sand, a lighter flywheel is best for throttle response and hole shots. If your in the dirt, the only place for a light flywheel is full MX racing. Other than that, a heavy would be best.

Personally I run in the sand and prefer a 14oz flywheel in my TRX.

cals400ex
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
i had laz at gt thunder shave mine. it was definatly slower than with the stock flywheel. it did not want to rev as high. it wasn't really noticable. however, i had a buddy with a very similar built bike. i would always win by a few bike lengths with the stock flywheel. with the lighter one i lost every time. i tried to shift early, shift late, shift without letting off the gas. every time i lost. i put the stock flywheel back on and then i was winning again. :blah:

laz told me a lighter flywheel will not pull the higher rpms as well. i tried it anyways and did not have good luck. oh well. i think i would put a heavier one on before a lighter one just for trial and error. however, i have never tried trailtechs products so i am not saying anything bad about them. i know they have top notch customer service so don't worry there. ;)

400exrider707
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by trailtech
If your in the sand, a lighter flywheel is best for throttle response and hole shots. If your in the dirt, the only place for a light flywheel is full MX racing. Other than that, a heavy would be best.

Personally I run in the sand and prefer a 14oz flywheel in my TRX.

How about the traction capabilities? Wouldn't a heavier flywheel give you better tractability in conditions that you wouldn encounter in MX? I know I am content with the stock one right now as I race MX primarily, however if I was to put anything in it would be a heavier one for the tight tracks I have around here.

trailtech
05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
tractability is better with a heavier flyqwheel. Pro MX riders run the lighter flywheels to get off the line and out of corners faster.

Mostly the GNCC riders run the heavy flywheels.