PDA

View Full Version : Front end gets loose at higher speeds

yernkie
05-30-2006, 08:28 AM
OK, I will see if I can explain this so that it makes any sense. My 2001 400EX rides great until you get up toward the top end of third gear. Once that happens, the front end gets crazy loose, can't keep the wheels straight on dirt, gravel, or pavement. I tried getting all my weight up over the front, but that did not help. Hear are a few things that I have noticed about the quad, so maybe this will help. The rear shock is very soft. Feels like it is setup for a 130lb rider...I am 180lb. Another thing is the steerning stem. It looks straight, but when the wheels are straight the handlebars are not (new handlebars...they are not bent). Could it be something in the steering, or is the rear suspension too light and causing the front to get loose? Any thoughts? Any places to start looking?

curious george
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
tie rode stering stem and rear shock all play aprt. check for bends and tighten up you rear shock becuase when you ride the front tires put all there weight on the rear shock becuase it is so soft. this will make it very loose and so will bent tie rods and stering stem. on older model 400ex(untill03) the stems are weak and they tweak easily.

yernkie
05-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I will check all of that. If it is the steering stem, I can get a new Honda stem for around $50. Would it be worth buying, or would it be better to go with an aftermarket stem? Are the aftermarket stems much stronger?

As for the rear shock, how do you adjust it? Any special tools required?

maxamillion
05-30-2006, 09:34 AM
It sounds like your front end is just out of alignment. Turn the bars so they are straight, then adjust you tie-rods so the wheels have 1/8-1/4 in toe in. For the rear shock,just stiffen the compression. Its at the top of the shock, to make it stiffer turn in clockwise. It should turn with a screw driver.

yernkie
05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Will try that and let you know what happens. Thanks, y'all are the best.

JOEX
05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight also. The nuts that hold the tie rod end to the steering stem are known to loosen.