PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil...

scottso
05-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Took out my sons 50cc this weekend and after running fine two weekends ago - it won't start. The plug (grounded against the head) has a weak sporadic spark - maybe one small arc after a few seconds of cranking.
So I am thinking - test the coil. I have seen a couple of posts here indicating resistence numbers when testing an ignition coil - but non specific to a particular bike. Does anyone have the numbers for a Kasea 50, or does it matter that much? And while I'm at it - my neighbor has a spare from a redcat 70cc (four stroke) which looks completely different - can I assume that it is different (beyond the obvious cosmetics?). Or can it be fitted and used?:ermm:
I see a ton of "fits all mini quad" coils on ebay. :huh Are all coils created equal?

Livin4Real
05-30-2006, 10:10 PM
You might just go through and do a thorough cleaning on all the connectors with some electrical contact cleaner. Also you might pull your flywheel and clean up everything as well.

scottso
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
You might just go through and do a thorough cleaning on all the connectors with some electrical contact cleaner. Also you might pull your flywheel and clean up everything as well.

Nope. Did all this. I am thinking of swapping in the igintion coil from my Polaris Sportsman 500 to rule out the coil. Anybody feel that this may damage something? ...or am I OK.