PDA

View Full Version : Racing

Mxbubs
08-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Alot of new guys always ask what they can do to become a better racer. What does it take to be a champion? Here is a how a racer becomes a champion.

A champion racer must consistenly be able to push his quad to the limit without tearing it to pieces, know his own limits, and ride at that fine line consistenly without going over.

BadA$$440
08-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Very well put.

mxracer89
08-10-2002, 07:55 PM
no no no no!!!!!! i am tierd of people saying "no your own limits" the truth about that is you never now your own limits never. you always step up a notch every time. i thought i new my limits a year ago and that was when i did not think that i could do a 10 foot jump now i am doing 70 foot. when i go raceing and i dont hink that i can do a jump my dad says get biger balls because the only way you are going to to get good is if you got big balls and if you are willing to take a chance. so there are no limits. in all in your head

airheadedduner
08-11-2002, 11:30 AM
I agree with mxracer89. If you never ride beyond your limits how are you supposed to become a better rider? A lot of times I will look at a jump I think I can't do and just go for it. Make it or not I will try just to gain the experience.

Pappy
08-11-2002, 11:50 AM
i agree...you should push yerself to do better at everything.

Mxbubs
08-11-2002, 12:13 PM
You guys have seen too many Nike commercials! haha, seriously, you have limits, you need to have enough sense to know when to step up to the next level or have enough discipline to know you are not yet ready. Consistency will keep you out of a wheelchair, and make you better and faster in the long run.

trx400ex
08-11-2002, 12:37 PM
mxbubs is right, wheather you like it or not, riding at the same level will still gain you experience,a lot of it, after a while, its time to step it up, yes, challenges are good, but i would rather my friends laugh at me for a day than to be stuck in bed because i cant feel anything below my neck for the rest of my life

mxracer89
08-12-2002, 05:42 PM
ok ok. if you see a atv jump a big jump. and you have the same fourwheeler or close then you can do it. it takes skill to do a jump and the only way you are going to get it is if you try new things.. no there is no limits. i bet in 10 20 years people are going to be jumping jumps that we could never imagian. like me and my dad always say if you ant reckon then your not riden.

RideRed400StYlE
08-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
mxbubs is right, wheather you like it or not, riding at the same level will still gain you experience,a lot of it, after a while, its time to step it up, yes, challenges are good, but i would rather my friends laugh at me for a day than to be stuck in bed because i cant feel anything below my neck for the rest of my life

Tru Dat trx400ex. there is no reason to try somthing because everyone is pressuring you. do it when you are ready, if you are nervous you can freeze up in the air, then you are in trouble. you might just not be feeling it that day. everything takes time. you cant jump into the sport hitting 70 foot doubles. you need to start out on that little 10 footer untill you are comfortable enough to move up. when your riding around the next day, and your buddy that was laughing at you is sitting home with a broken wrist you will be happy you didnt do something stupid

08-13-2002, 09:43 PM
my dad says get biger balls because the only way you are going to to get good is if you got big balls and if you are willing to take a chance

I am not sure but check if your dad has some big arse insurance policy on you or something, and next time he talks crap like that be a gentleman and offer to let him try. Its always correct to be polite.

Team Outlaw #34
08-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex

that was said well.....

Ride400exj
08-13-2002, 10:07 PM
My thing is when i got to a track i try one thing differant it really help if your taking turns harder and fast or your jumping the big double it dosent make a differance i think it really help when you try something diferant every time. also i set goal in my riding that also help a lot for me but thats just me.

airheadedduner
08-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Its not like I push my limits to the extreme. Its more on the lines of if I know I am makin teh 45 footers easy then yeah, i'm goin for the 60 footer. I know my limits and I TRY to push beyond them every time I ride. I try to find a jump that is bigger and badder then anything I have done so far and go for it. The downside to this of course is now I can't ride (at least not for one more week) cause I pushed a little to far. Guess thats why I got a sticker on my helmet that says "EMPTY"

:D

Nausty
08-14-2002, 06:25 AM
well with you crashing like that maybe you were pushing to far afterall i'm sure if you didn't push as much you would still be riding and have more experience than being out of the game for a month.

08-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by mxracer89
if you ant reckon then your not riden.

that's what my buddy said all the time,, he now can't even talk because he's in a coma after a MX wreck,,,,pretty stupid saying I think..

I don't wreck and still win races,,,I understand the meaning of the saying,,but it's kinda of an oximoron remark..no flame intended mxbubs..;)

Sparks425Ex
08-14-2002, 08:55 AM
You guys are stating 2 points that are both correct. I mean you can't just not know what your limits are and go hit somthing that Dana Creech hits. But then again you can't say nope that is to big. If you say nope i can''t jump that because it is to big then you will never get passed that stage to jump it. At the time in your ability you have to know what you can and can't do. I mean i knwo i can clear a 75 tabletop so when i see one i will prolyl hit it but if i see a 75 foot double i know that i prolly shouldn't do it becasue i am doubting yourself.

The worst things to do in race or anytime is doubt yourself. If you are saying "**** yes" i will clear that, then at the very end you think but what if....or.... I don't know if i can do it. Thatr is when you have probs. You gotta know your limits but you gotta be able to somtims just say screw that i am gonna make this jump and go do it.

Most everything when you ride is mental. If you see a jump that you think you can make then your friend goes off it and crashes then you are gonan think twice about hittign teh jump but if you would have seen somone land it perfect then you will get right up and jump it.

Everything is in yourhead.

airheadedduner
08-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
well with you crashing like that maybe you were pushing to far afterall i'm sure if you didn't push as much you would still be riding and have more experience than being out of the game for a month.

I was pushing my luck more then anything. I tried this pond twice the day before and had problems. It looked better and I went for it and crashed. I couldn't tell when I was getting a run at it but look at the wake on it.

breaks-alot
08-14-2002, 02:17 PM

kicker696
08-14-2002, 11:40 PM
ok, i think that every single time that you step onto that track you should be trying to do somthing different than you did before. today we had a practice at my local track (which we do every wednsday) and when i stepped on i had picked out one jump that by the end of the day i wanted to take. when i got onto the track, i rolled over the jump a few times, and then just nutted up, and hit it. I made it, but had a hard landing, so the next lap i tried again, and had another hard landing. the next lap i shifted up and pinned it hoping to get a little further, but ended up bogging down, and coming up real short. I bent my tierod, but that was all on the quad, and i just got the wind knocked out of me, and a few bruises. My point here is, even though i had made it the 2 times before, i wanted to try to go bigger, to push it to the next level, and i tryed to hard. just get to know how you ride, and then step it up, but don't be the one out there riding all over the track that ends up hurting himself, along with others just because he wanted to go faster than what he was ready for.

Ride400exj
08-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Point well made

MxDale71
08-15-2002, 09:13 PM
The guys that are going huge may have the same quad you have, but they also have more experience. Most people that go from getting 2 ft high, to over 10 ft high all of a sudden, will panic when they are in the air. YOu may have NO limits over time, but realistically, experience is where your limits are measured. (hehe, that sounded like it came out of a fortune cookie :D). Everytime I go to the track, I always try to do atleast one jump that I haven't done before or improving on my technique (sp?). Corners are the big thing in a race.

"If you aint wreckin, you aint ridin." is the stupidest saying ever thought of. If your wreckin, your not winning, and if you just wreck all the time, you suck. Plain and simple. If you are wrecking almost everytime you go to the track, than you're just a poser thats trying to act like a bad @ss, and you really just suck at racing. Unless ofcourse you are a beginner, than a few wrecks is expected while your learning, but the wrecks usually start to decline as your riding smarts increase.

SGA
08-15-2002, 10:31 PM
Rode above my limits the other day. Went around a tight curve too fast, no room to powerslide really, slid and slammed a tree hard sideways. Nothing was hurt, I just kept going.
I always try to push myself a little bit without being stupid.
Yeah, I was stupid, took the corner to fast, thats what gets you hurt.

Sick0
08-17-2002, 11:36 AM
j
o
oj

54e
ujk jp'pp'jio;'ui'oip
j'o' ;guopguopuop;uoh opyupyuop u9pgu98pg98pgy9p guoigu9pog97p 9p98p987p gu9opu9gp9 hu9py9py79py97p 9py97hp7gp 9ypp98yp 9py987py987py87 oyt9op97p

ride300exred
08-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by RideRed400StYlE

. you cant jump into the sport hitting 70 foot doubles. you need to start out on that little 10 footer untill you are comfortable enough to move up. when your riding around the next day, and your buddy that was laughing at you is sitting home with a broken wrist you will be happy you didnt do something stupid
Listen pal.. Haha Chris your a woman . You just said this because you wouldnt do our 20 footer till you got your 1500 suspension haha . It was pretty funny so Dont make fun of me when I broke the wrist I was doin the jump with a 300 when you would'nt do it with your 400 . Your just mad becasue I went big lol :cool: :D :cool:
Too bad the wrist hurt and I had the cast for 4 weeks . Lol
Oh well. It was fun while it lasted .

Evan
08-17-2002, 09:49 PM
I dont know if this is much advice but its what I think all the time during a race. If your not braking or on the gas, your not racing.

Practice does more than anything, learn for yourself whats best. If possible always ride with a faster rider.
No guts, No glory, Go for it!

airheadedduner
08-18-2002, 12:10 AM
If your not brakeing or on the gas you are wasteing time.

Mxbubs
08-18-2002, 01:00 PM
I had no idea that this little post would get so many hits. Let me make myself clearer on what I meant. I consider myself an expert rider. I consider myself an experienced atv operating technician. What I mean by that is, I can look at any obstacle or scenario and tell you exactly how my bike is going to react to it, how fast or how slow I am going to need to be going, and if I am off, how is my bike going to depart (do something unplanned) and what I am going to do to correct and what am I going to do if I cannot correct it. I know my skills, and I know my bike. If I face an obstacle where Im scratching my head going "I wonder what my bike is going to do, I wonder what speed I need to be at"---I will not do it right away. Instead I will find similiar less complicated obstacles, conquer them, and use what I learned from them to step up to more challenging things. I will not be broken up when I am old and gray, nor will my machine be being destroyed for the sake of saying "I aint skeered"..... the fact is, to any expert operator, fear is not the issue, the issue is always an unanswered technical question that only experience can answer.

B@ckBoneBelgium
08-18-2002, 02:26 PM
People , let me tell you one thing ... You do heve no limits , but before you go for a bigger step , make sure you are capabale of holding your machine under controle . Do not let adrenaline or just your friends take you to the limit because this is what happens :

B@ckBoneBelgium
08-18-2002, 02:31 PM
I still wasn't learned after this one , but after this i was learned .I got a 3 * fraction and it was out of his normal position ...:I meant my foot here ...:eek: