PDA

View Full Version : Quad running kinda crappy... help

kustomfab2003
05-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok I got my R all together today and took it for a burn around my property but it wont run past 1/3 - 1/2 throttle. The guy I got the quad from only ran it at Glamis (sea Level) and I am at 4000ft currently. I talked with my local shop and they said it should only make a minor difference but not like what is happening. I have changed the plugs b8, b7 and b9 series NGK's and the 7 helps. I dod a plug chop and it is not quite black but more of a darker brown or grey. Do you think that I should drop the needle down one size or change the main jet? The motor is a CT330 kit with a ESR trx5 pipe and silencer and the carb is a 38mm Mikuni with a X-Factore airbox and a K&N filter.

If I am really careful and dont mash on the throttle I can get it to rev out about halfway before it just starts loosing it on top. Kinda runs like when the choke is left on to long.

PYF
05-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Correct me If I'm wrong but looks like it's your main jet and/or needle...

If it rans good at glamis, it's probably running too rich at your level...

I would drop a size or two on the mine and plug chop it again to see if it helps...

kustomfab2003
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I was thinking the same but it's been awhile since I jetted a 2 stroke and wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Don't want to blow the motor and have to start again.

PYF
05-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by kustomfab2003
I was thinking the same but it's been awhile since I jetted a 2 stroke and wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Don't want to blow the motor and have to start again.

Haha I'm not an expert either but I really think it's your problem.

Don't know if you should lean on your needle or not though

Somebody will probably confirm or deny my statement soon anyway:devil:

Hope it helps,

Pierre-Yves

bananas
05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Pick up a jet kit. I run get at sea level but when I went to WV mountains I ran like S***. Talk to your local rides and match the jet they are using...