PDA

View Full Version : Holes in airbox????

waddle
05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
is there anyone running holes in their airbox??? and is it ok to have small holes drilled out of the box?

TheFontMaster
05-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't cut holes in the air box itself. Ether take off the airbox lid, or dill holes in the lid. You start drilling holes in the airbox, and it will be very easy for water to get in there, and you don't want that in your motor.

250r4life
05-29-2006, 08:25 PM
depends on the conditions in which you ride... i'm sure if you take the lid off though, you should be getting plenty of air...

dober250R
05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
The one guy hit the nail on the head. It depends what kind of conditions you ride in. I don't ride in mud or anything even close to mud, so I have no lid and my air box has a few extra custom added holes to it.

travis starkey
06-01-2006, 02:01 AM
sorry bout using ur thread but if the lid is off of the air box and more air is gettin in does the engine run cool and not over heat.

firefighterjosh
06-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by travis starkey
sorry bout using ur thread but if the lid is off of the air box and more air is gettin in does the engine run cool and not over heat.

No because the engine will run lean and will accually get Hotter and ruin your engine. Too much air to fuel ratio.

I have 12 Holes in my Stock banshee airbox.
2 on each side
4 on the lid
6 on the back side

They make these little clip in pieces that have foam peices in them. This helps keep water out temprarly.

I did some tests.

took the airbox lid and held it underwater. it took about 10 Secs to fill my airbox lid with water. Longer then just leaving regular holes.

I also sprayed the airbox lid with the hose to simulate maybe driving through a creak. No water got in.

I raced XC with the shee and had no problem with mud or water getting in.

I also run a fairly waterproof outerwear on the filter and leave the plug out on the bottom of the airbox.

waddle
06-01-2006, 07:29 PM
so would running the airbox with no lid and having about 6 holes the same diameter of a pencil? cause any problems with being lean? the bike is not running right now, and thats the current set up, i m just wondering?

firefighterjosh
06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by waddle
so would running the airbox with no lid and having about 6 holes the same diameter of a pencil? cause any problems with being lean? the bike is not running right now, and thats the current set up, i m just wondering?

Put your airbox lid back on and see if it runs better it is prally running too lean

LaLaLoosh
06-01-2006, 09:12 PM
more air needs more gas..if it runs too lean you might need to rejet