PDA

View Full Version : Broken swingarm bolt

HRC_rider
05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Broke my swingarm bolt at about 70Nm (supposed to be torqued to 108). It looks to me like almost 3/4 of it has been broken for a while because of the corrosion. What a clean crack it was! Couldn't have done much better with some serious cutting equipment and I didn't notice it while cleaning up the threads. The last 1/4 let loose with the wrench.

Any opinions about hardened, stainless or stock bolts? LSR, Duncan, Ebay, Honda? Not really wanting another broken one so I think the stocker is off my list.

gbcap
05-29-2006, 09:07 PM
grease that baby every month atleast.

woodward specialities has a nice stainless one.

HRC_rider
05-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
grease that baby every month atleast.

woodward specialities has a nice stainless one.

The corrosion is on the end of the bolt at the break and on not the shaft. It was out for some rear end bearing maintenance so it was just freshly greased up and wasn't seized in the swingarm collars like I expected when I took it out.

eganracing
05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
it seems like you have a lot of problems with your R. messed up holeshots, messed up nerfs and broken swingarm bolts. u must not have much luck. anyways i would go with stock again. sounds like u just got realy unlucky.

400exrider0004
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
im sure he doesnt want to hear about his bad luck. I would just get another stock bolt and see how it works out.

HRC_rider
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
it seems like you have a lot of problems with your R. messed up holeshots, messed up nerfs and broken swingarm bolts. u must not have much luck. anyways i would go with stock again. sounds like u just got realy unlucky.

None lately, all my machines are beat. About the R, I rode this thing stock all last year without issue and only added a bumper and the 400EX toolbox (what harm could be done?). This year I noticed the carrier bearings were getting sloppy so I ordered a RAD tapered setup along with the nerfs and a pile of other stuff to get it a bit more custom. Everything came on Wednesday but I kept riding in the mean time and this is the end result! I let it go because I knew I was replacing it but I didn't intend for it to get this bad. Were there supposed to be balls and a seal in there? Kidding. I'll need a new brake disc flange to get it going again, hence why my axle is still out in the nerf pics which I guess are going back for a replacement. HD rear went out today so I'm down for a few.

JW450R1
05-30-2006, 04:32 AM
for the flange get a anti-fADE nut.i just got a new carrier and a anti-fade nut,because my jam nut loosened up and my bearing went bad.when u get your new carrier take it a apart and repact the bearings first.they come dry of grease.it will make them last a lot longer.

JW450R1
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
for the swinger bolt.try a search.they make powder coated bolts,and also swinger bolts with a grease fitting drilled in the center somehow that is better....

HRC_rider
05-30-2006, 05:00 AM
I wasn't expecting this level of carnage when I pulled the axle so I had already ordered a RAD nut. I should have gone with the anti-fade but I was able to get an almost new stock flange for cheap. I'm not sure how many rides the stock nut was loose for but a while back I found some slop in the axle bolt and knew then the bearing was beat. I retightened it but too late.

ex kid
05-30-2006, 07:23 AM
the bolt Woodward sells in pretty nice. alot of the top guys are using it. stainless steel and it comes with a factory nut. I hanvnt seen one break yet.