PDA

View Full Version : what to get?

bigH
05-29-2006, 05:44 PM
i need help with what to get. i love hondas and they are my favorite bike out there. i am having trouble on deciding what to get out of the 400ex and the ltz400. i need 2 no what is better out of accleration,top speed, handling, and trail riding. thanks for your help.

GooseZ400
05-29-2006, 06:22 PM
all of your questions lead me to tell you to get a z/kfx/dvx over the ex. theex is a good solid and reliable bike. The z is a little more advanced in the motor dept. it is a liquid cooled dohc motor. where as the ex is an air cooled sohc. the dohc allows the the z to rev much quicker and produces a little more power. in acceleration the z will beat the ex by about two bike lengths in a 300 yd drag. the z sits up alittle taller but the suspension is more plush. the ex has the old style shocks w/ no resevoirs as the z has newer style. the chain adj is easier on the ex. both req the same amount of maint.
Either mach is a great trail bike. imo the ex is a wheelie king and my z isnt as bad
the z was a copy pretty much of the ex.
if you were going to buy used the older ex dont have reverse but a new ones do

they are both great bikes and u would be happy w/ either
my nod goes to the z

Crazy Diamond
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
I second that! I had a 416 EX and the KFX I have now stock smoked it!

Valder
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I was all set to get a 400EX until I stopped in at Soper Powersports on the way home from checking out the Hondas. Fell in love with the KFX400. Gotta find time to get the wife back out to the dealer this week or next.

db

Chad W
05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
I just bought an 06 Z a couple of weeks ago and before that researched all the bikes. The 400EX is a very nice bike, however, I decided on the Z because of liquid cooling, the nice shock package, and I like the looks of the Z a little more. The power of the 05's and 06's is very nice too. If I raced I would have went with a 450R, but all I do is trail ride.

firefighterjosh
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I have a 416ex (slightly modified) and my GF has a KFX 400 with HMF Pipe and she can beat me, not by much though (rider error:D sorry hun):eek:

Stock for Stock the KFX and Z are better Make sure you get the 05 + MODELS of KFX and 04 + models of Z they went through some changes

Everyone> let me know if I was wrong with the years!

YFZ450Ridr
05-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I have a 416ex (slightly modified) and my GF has a KFX 400 with HMF Pipe and she can beat me, not by much though (rider error:D sorry hun):eek:

Stock for Stock the KFX and Z are better Make sure you get the 05 + MODELS of KFX and 04 + models of Z they went through some changes

Everyone> let me know if I was wrong with the years!

kfx and zs are the same and got the same changes at the same time. get any year after the 03s on both, frames on the 03s are known to crack easily.

firefighterjosh
06-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
kfx and zs are the same and got the same changes at the same time. get any year after the 03s on both, frames on the 03s are known to crack easily.

I know for a fact that suzuki and kawi had diffrent changes in diffrent years. It says it in dirt wheels mag. My GF has a 04 Kawi and it does not have the front end frame up grade like the 05s do.

GooseZ400
06-01-2006, 04:18 PM
well no **** . they both got the same changes in the same year. the 05's both have the same frame, the 04's both have the same frame. the 05's both have the same shocks , the 04's both have the sameshocks. And as a matter of fact the Kaw has a suzuki manufacturing sticker on the frame

How does it feel to be beaten by a girl

YFZ450Ridr
06-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I know for a fact that suzuki and kawi had diffrent changes in diffrent years. It says it in dirt wheels mag. My GF has a 04 Kawi and it does not have the front end frame up grade like the 05s do.

in 04 they got the frame changes. easy way to spot the new frame is if its got a detatchable grab bar. they didnt get new shocks until 05 along with the new clutch covers.

firefighterjosh
06-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by GooseZ400
well no **** . they both got the same changes in the same year. the 05's both have the same frame, the 04's both have the same frame. the 05's both have the same shocks , the 04's both have the sameshocks. And as a matter of fact the Kaw has a suzuki manufacturing sticker on the frame

How does it feel to be beaten by a girl

I just seen that dirt wheels mag today i think it was june 2005. It said in i think the 2nd paragraph that the 05 changes were better shocks and gusseted frame. The Z was changed in 04. I could be wrong I am just saying what I have read.

Being beat by a girl isn't so bad since she has the quad advatange. I just jump on my banshee and beat who ever just beat me on the 400.

YFZ450Ridr
06-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I just seen that dirt wheels mag today i think it was june 2005. It said in i think the 2nd paragraph that the 05 changes were better shocks and gusseted frame. The Z was changed in 04. I could be wrong I am just saying what I have read.

Being beat by a girl isn't so bad since she has the quad advatange. I just jump on my banshee and beat who ever just beat me on the 400.

go to suzukis website and look at the 04 model z400. it has the same specs as the 04 kfx.

GooseZ400
06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
in 04 I think the only frame change they made was the removable grab bar. when suzuki copied the ex they had that **** one piece subframe.
Is your ex a 416 only cause it's been rebuilt or did you build it for performance?

firefighterjosh
06-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by GooseZ400

Is your ex a 416 only cause it's been rebuilt or did you build it for performance?

Built it for tourque. I race HS.