PDA

View Full Version : Massive vibration is it the Counter Balancer

Wellsy250r
05-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi just bought an '86 250r yesterday and the bottom engine mounts (on the frame) have snapped.

I have massive vibration through the handlebars ann entire quad.

Is this down to age?

Is it due to a worn Balancer and is there an easy way to check?

Is it the Crank and is there an easy way to check also?

Is there an after market engine mounting kit prehaps with rubber mounts?

Is this a common problem?

The engine is already out and the head and cylinder are apart.

Thanks in advance for your help

robyone
05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
The counter balancer bearing could be bad, or if someone did not line up the punch marks on the crank and the counter balancer drive gear it would cause vibration. You will have to take off the clutch cover and disassemble the clutch basket to remove the primary drive gear bolt and washer to see if they are in line. If you don't have a manual, I would suggest getting one.

pimpt250r
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
i have never let any vibration ever get that bad ,,,but like robyone said if its was not lined up right you will get wicked vibs
but it only takes a few missed over revved ****s to tweak some bearings and if you just bought it
imagine all the people who put there fat as$ on it 2 test ride b4 u got it

georgedoggy
05-30-2006, 12:16 AM
fix the frame first, and then pull the clutch cover off and check that the balancer gears line up with the dots. check with the manual and it will tell you how to do it. also, tighten all the engine mount bolts. some vibration is normal, so check with friends 250rs and compare. go hard !!

lee37vernon
05-30-2006, 02:27 AM
mmm ..........
i saw this on e bay also , i too am in UK .

did this not have some sort of race tuned cr250 motor in it ? does that kicker kick forwards or back ? i think you may be suffering the vibration from a non counterbalanced engine ! this can be overcome somewhat with some special fabbed up engine mounts bit its not right . :ermm:

lee37vernon
05-30-2006, 03:03 AM
this is the quad phil from quad heaven was selling isnt it .. only ended a few days ago . this isnt the one i was thinking of, that ended few weeks back . check out the for sales in quad heaven , you'll see your quad in there , then do a search on all his posts , just in case something comes up . i think he's only had it since feb , you may come up with something . else , sorry , strip her apart for a rebuild , be worth it .

Wellsy250r
05-31-2006, 02:13 AM
The engine mounts are snapped through fatigue and vibration and after your good advice we took the clutch out to find that the balancer shaft was 180 degrees out. The dots did not line up at all.

As we took the kick start of it was becoming obviuos that some one hase been in the clutch side of the engine as there was fresh copper slip on the kick shaft!!!!

I will have the 250r up and running for the weekend so I will report back on the vibration problem.

Also we notice that on the service manual there should be a bearing on the top of the clutch basket ie clutch plates in, aluminium cover on, then the nut the a bearing. There was not bearing when we took is apart, should there be one on a '86 250r?

Thanks for all you replies so far

lee37vernon
05-31-2006, 05:06 AM
think you'll find thats the 89 clutch with the bearing , you can get all the bits and do it as an upgrade while its apart . pleased you found the problem . result ..:D

robyone
05-31-2006, 06:02 AM
;) Glad to hear you got it fixed.