PDA

View Full Version : 05 Rear shock in 06 ER

Alain
05-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa. I see you guys all seem to have all the experience and answers on the other side of the world.

I read in the Dec 05 issue of ATV Action that the 06 shocks were not as good for trail riding as those off the 05. Over the weekend I managed to swop my 06 shocks with someone else's 05's. After having read the article I thought they would just bolt in and off I could go. Well I merely fitted them and went for a ride, which did not go too well. The fronts work well but the back shock valve seems to have hit the engine casing and thankfully only broke the valve off the shock.

I have taken the shock to a local shock builder to repair. He is going to fit another kind of valve that is more recessed. Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

hoopd450
05-29-2006, 11:48 AM
the 05 shock is 3/4" shorter than the 06 shock so it will never work correctly. it would work if used a 05 swingarm, shock and both linkages. but i wouldn't suggest it because the 06 rear suspension is alot better. the best thing to do would be to keep all of your 06 shocks and just get a gt thunder link. they really smooth out the ride alot even if you don't get your shock valved. make sure that its an 06 link though since they are different. and don't always believe what you read in the magazines.

Alain
05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks. Will have to try and see if I can get it swopped back again. The only problem is the one I got is now damaged.

Unfortunatly at this part of the world to try and get the GT Thunder link is rather costly. The cost of getting it here is sometimes more than the part itself.