PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Vibration

Wellsy250r
05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I bought a 250r for the Mrs. yesterday and went out on it today for the first time.

There is a major vibration at the handlebars and all over the quad. The handle bars feel like they are giving you an electric shock.

I have found that the two engine mounts (on the frame) at the very bottom have cracked completeley.

Also the top bushing on the steering stem has some play.

Will the vibration be down to the mounts?

Why did the mounts break to start with?

Is the Stem bushing to blame for the vibration?

Or could it be the counter balancer (what ever thats is or does)?

Please help as I am fairly new to bikes, quads, 2 Stroke, riding etc.etc.

smoxy
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I can tell you that theses motor mounts are typically beefed up on stock frames as they get week after 17 or so yrs!
I would definitely weld them up good! I'm not too concerned with your stem play as I think we all have a bit unless you have a brand new bushing! If after welding up those mounts, you still have a bad vib, you might want to check you're counterbalancer and maybe even the crank!
I'm no mechanic, but thats my two cents!

TheFontMaster
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm willing to bet it's the motor mounts. I would get those welded up ASAP. One of the bolts that held in my motor came loose a couple weeks ago and I started getting a bit of a vibration from it. While your welding the cracks put a couple of gussets on the mounts so they don't break again. Also I would replace the sterring stem bushing, If I remember correctly it's only like 7 dollars, and it just makes the quad feel that much better cause there isn't any wobble in it. It's replaceing the little things like that that make the quad feel like a new quad again.

86 Quad R
05-30-2006, 07:12 AM
if the vibration seems to be more excessive than normal i would pull the clutch cover and inpect things. check to see if the counter balancer is timed right.

zedicus00
05-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
if the vibration seems to be more excessive than normal i would pull the clutch cover and inpect things. check to see if the counter balancer is timed right.

thas what i was gunna say, also check the counter balance bearings... could even be a crank bearing? i would geuss that excesive vibration broke the mounts. beefing them up may bandaid a worse problem.

pimpt250r
05-30-2006, 08:21 AM
If I remember correctly it's only like 7 dollars,
7 dollars hwere do you get your parts,, i just bought that steering stem bushing and its 20.
the hinson 1 is 25
honda part #53221-HB9-670