PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Review

chigger
05-28-2006, 05:29 PM
It seems to me that alot of people are wondering if dales are really nice bikes and if they hold up at all. I thought that it might help some of these people if I wrote a review of my expereince with my cannondale.

I bought my cannondale as a progect about a year and a half ago. With the help of everyone over at cannondaleriders.com, I built an affordable xc ready machine. I have actually been riding my dale for about six months. I have had very little trouble with the bike since I got it running. Getting it running was quite different.

When I first bought the quad with a bad crank on ebay, I had no clue what I was getting into. I recomend doing some research before you bite off more than you can chew. After researching, I had a sick feeling in my stomach for a while, but then I started on the rebuild and with some delay, I got through it. I chose a stock bore timbo stroker with nearly all the reliability updates there were.

The motor performs very very very well. lol I have only been beaten in drag races twice (ESR 310r and a homeade 727 raptor). Stock suspension seems to be pretty good (ohlins). The rear shock is placed at an angle that keeps the front end down and allows controlled slides. The dale doesnt like to have the front end in the air, when it does end up there, it doesnt balance well. Since it doesnt like to come up, you can launch out hard from the hole. Im not a big jumper, so the front suspension has been alright for me. I have only hit a 50ft table, but I have not bottomed it out. The brakes are awesome (galfer).

I have not had to replace many things since i started riding. The stock cannondale parts seem to be made with quality. I am running the mc1000 computer system. I have had no electronic troubles so far. I do not have the software to make maping changes to my fuel injection. After 6 months with no adjustments since I put it together, its a little off beat at idle, but still running good. Nothing has broken when I have gone over. All the plastics stayed intact. Most parts seem to be pretty tough. I ride rough rocky trails in the ozarks. I found that the stock holeshots and thin itp rims were no match for my environment. I replaced them with razr 2s and thicker stock 400ex wheels. The stock heelguards are not great. They are steadily falling apart under my feet. Overall, I have had very few failures on the dale. The coolant bottle sprung a leak and the cooling fan quit on me. I have really only changed oils, fixed broken aftermarket parts, made small adjustments and cleaned the air filter since the rebuild. Heres what ive expereinced with my other parts:

razr 2s: awesome tires, forward bite is good, good bite in ruts, still able to spin them and slide with them all I want to. No punctures yet.

Holeshots: Dissapeared very quickly and never performed well. The dale just spun them all the time whether they had tread on them or not. They just would not grab for me in the places I rode. No flats though.

tag fat bars: Comfy and have held up perfectly when I get carried away.

big gun pipe: Not recomended, wont hold packing, breaks cores, nothing but trouble. Go for an hmf on the dales. :rolleyes:

ac skidplate (swingarm): Not a great plate. Thickest one offered, but it bends into my rotor and sproket easily.

Diamond plate skids: I got these from an ebay vendor, They are wonderful skids. Never even had to beat on them yet!

Feel free to ask me about my bike or anything on it. Other dale owners chime in!

http://bikepics.com/pics/pics/bikepics-597565.jpg
http://bikepics.com/pics/pics/bikepics-597564.jpg http://bikepics.com/pics/pics/bikepics-597566.jpg

CannondaleRider
05-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by chigger
The brakes are awesome (galfer).

The Cannondale Brakes are actually Nissin brakes....the rotors(Moto wave rotors) i believe are Galfer, not sure if the stock non-waves are Galfer though...either way, very good brakes.

Big gun pipe: Not recomended, wont hold packing, breaks cores, nothing but trouble. Go for an hmf on the dales. :rolleyes:

The HMF is a good pipe, but I would actually recommend the FlowHVO system that Brad Oakley at Blackwidow ATV had produced, and sells....I believe its the best out there for Dales.
:D

http://i4.tinypic.com/10zr0y8.jpg

chigger
05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
[B]The Cannondale Brakes are actually Nissin brakes....the rotors(Moto wave rotors) i believe are Galfer, not sure if the stock non-waves are Galfer though...either way, very good brakes.

I dont know about my rotors, but all three of my calipurs say galfer on them. Brakes may have been different on different bikes. Its hard to tell in the early days, from what ive seen, they seem to vary. Anyone purchasing a dale should be well informed on the running changes that cannondale made during production. Different years and models have desirable parts and they may have thier own problems.

-cannondalerider, how much was that BW exaust? I had not seen the finished product, it looks pimp! :)

CannondaleRider
05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I dont know about my rotors, but all three of my calipurs say galfer on them. Brakes may have been different on different bikes. Its hard to tell in the early days, from what ive seen, they seem to vary. Anyone purchasing a dale should be well informed on the running changes that cannondale made during production. Different years and models have desirable parts and they may have thier own problems.

-cannondalerider, how much was that BW exaust? I had not seen the finished product, it looks pimp! :)

Well, if they really are Galfer...that would be a first for me...i've never heard of the calipers ever being galfer....never knew galfer has ever made calipers...

As for the exhaust, I pade $495 for it, pre-ordered....not sure if they are more expensive now...

chigger
05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Ok, I lead us way off topic here, but you got me thinkin I might be wrong, so I went to look. My front brake perch says Nissin, my front and rear brake LINES say Galfer lol, my rear brake pedal says Galfer, and I can find no markings on my brake calipers other than numbers. So I was mistaken. I have a mixed brake system, but whoever made it, congrats to them cause it stops me pretty quick! :D

yamadjs08
05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice review, well said.

You know whats really weird... I was about to buy that quad on ebay, you got it off ebay right? Like a year ago? Guy said it had a noise in top end or something like that? That was before I got my dale and I was seriously going to bid it up and try and win the auction but I think something came up and I never made it home in time. Looks good, I love fx400's, would love to find one some day and build it reliably and just let it be a garage queen LOL. The smoke grey plastics are the best looking plastics in my opinion. Plus tons of stuff on the fx400 is much better than the later models (02,03). Did it originally have the mc500 ECU?

witech
05-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
The Cannondale Brakes are actually Nissin brakes....the rotors(Moto wave rotors) i believe are Galfer, not sure if the stock non-waves are Galfer though...either way, very good brakes.

The HMF is a good pipe, but I would actually recommend the FlowHVO system that Brad Oakley at Blackwidow ATV had produced, and sells....I believe its the best out there for Dales.
:D

http://i4.tinypic.com/10zr0y8.jpg

The stock FMF titanium is still #1 for all out power and torque. It falls a little short in the durabilty though.

The hmf is a great durable system but the lower flowing headpipe loses a little power.

The Flow system from Black widow has and easy to remove headpipe mounting system . We have dynoed it against a Titanium headpipe with a TC silencer and power was the same but down a little in torque. I hope to try it out with the FMF silencer .

As far as the Canondale brakes go yes we are spoiled .

chigger
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by yamadjs08
Nice review, well said.

You know whats really weird... I was about to buy that quad on ebay, you got it off ebay right? Like a year ago? Guy said it had a noise in top end or something like that? That was before I got my dale and I was seriously going to bid it up and try and win the auction but I think something came up and I never made it home in time. . . Did it originally have the mc500 ECU?

Thats the bike. I went and got it in kansas, noise was not in the top end, it was the crank, and the bike would only run for 5 seconds before dying. The bid got up too high, and I got it. lol :D Overall, Im really happy with the bike and it performs great for the money I have in it. I got ahold of the right people during the rebuild.

The fx does have some good, but also some bad. Ive replaced all the inferior parts accept for the swingarm and cable clutch, and they havent cause any problems yet. It came with the mc500, but I tore up the harness during removal, so I never ran it on the 500. I replaced the whole system with the mc1000 stuff. Thanks for the comments. :)

z-mann
06-01-2006, 08:57 AM
I have an fx400 sitting in my garage that I hope to do pretty much the same stuff you did. I got it realy cheap and have been buying a few parts here and there for it. Hope to finally tear into it this week.

cannongirl66
07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
this is my quad, and i love it more than anything in the world, sometimes more than my bf...depending on the day. she runs amazing, and its pink. what more could i ask for????

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/ilovemymxer/ambers%20quad/13.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/ilovemymxer/ambers%20quad/6f0370a8.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/ilovemymxer/ambers%20quad/6038f053.jpg

cannongirl66
07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
this is my bf's quad. equally gorgeous not as girly. lol

cannongirl66
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
btw. the info below it is my info not his.

exrider008
07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
sweet quads^^^ but screw the quad lets see some pics of u:blah:

cannongirl66
07-09-2006, 02:40 PM
you know michele reiser???i make her look like bubba from your local state jail. but i wouldn't want your mom to walk in on you wacking off to pictures of me....since ya know she already walked in on you beating your meat to my quad.....lol...

exrider008
07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by cannongirl66
you know michele reiser???i make her look like bubba from your local state jail. but i wouldn't want your mom to walk in on you wacking off to pictures of me....since ya know she already walked in on you beating your meat to my quad.....lol...

word:huh

Toadz400
08-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cannongirl66

Someone's a little over-confident...let's see pics to prove it:cool: .

jbplayfz450
12-12-2006, 10:06 PM
You guys sound like you have very little $ in these quads. What would someone expect to pay for one of these quads that are set up for XC racing where reliability is a MUST?

thanks!

yamadjs08
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
You could set up a nice reliable XC Cannondale for $3000-3500, even cheaper in some cases...

Ok, say you buy a cheap $2000 Cannondale, tear the motor out, get the essential updates done and a fresh piston kit plus labor for like $700-1000, or if you do the motor work yourself even cheaper. Most likely the Cannondale had the non-rezzy ohlins on the front and the good ohlins in the rear, so you are set up decent right there. Than just your preference in wheels and tires and of course nerfs and a killswitch. But if the quad you bought had the cheezy arvins front shocks than you would have to upgrade to at least the non-rezzy ohlins anywhere from $100-$200...

So there you are set up, and if you wanted a sweet XC machine, I mean blaze ohlins, ohlins dampner and beadlocks... You will probably be on the upper ends of $3500-$4000...

With all the motor updates, these quads can be just as reliable as anything else with proper maintenance.

chigger
12-13-2006, 05:26 PM
If your not afraid to get some grease on you, 3500 will build a nice dale. It does take alot of work to tear down and put together one of these machines. I found my dale for a little under 2grand. Motor was trashed though. Pretty much worst case senario lol. The rest of the bike had less than 40 hours. I found lots of people to help me. I have about 3600 + my work time in mine the way it sets. Its a stock bore stroker with every update I could get at the time I built it. Pipe,bars,skids,tires. Its XC ready. Havent had a problem with it since I put it together a year ago. The motor probably puts out close to 50hp at the rear wheels. Performance is great. I have razr 2s on 400ex wheels. Honda wheels and tires fit dales, so theres tons of combos to be found cheap. The stock ITP wheels and holeshots wont cut it for xc. You will also want skids and bars. There is a member on cannondale riders that makes skids cheap. I have all the skids in diamond plate aluminum for under $90.