PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush

JLanphear
05-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey guys...I want to get my dad one for fathers day but no nothing about them...any suggestions?

It won't be used for anything serious, but I'd like to get him a 1/2 way decent one.

He doesn't have an air compressor, but I do. Are their alternatives? Maybe a small tank or something that can be filled with my air compressor?

Again, I am completely stupid when it comes to these.

Thanks!

-Josh

XCAdam89
05-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm not a "Hardcore" airbrusher, but I know a little.

There are two kinds, Single Action and Dual Action.

Single action has an automatic mix of paint to air, which is Ideal for beginners, and for spraying decent sized areas at a time.

Dual Action, allows the painter to control the specific amounts of air and paint allowed in the mixure, resulting in more control.

Look at it this way, Single Action is like an automatic in a car, you just drive, or paint in this case, where as a dual action is more like a standard, with more control.

Dual action is also what is commonly used for painting more precise pieces.

I recommend Badger airbrushes, I love mine, and It has always treated me well..

As far as your air question, a spare tire can actually be used as an air source! I used one for about the first 5 months before we had an aircompressor, and it worked fine. It doesn't take much air to run an airbrush!

Any other questions, feel free to post them or PM me!

Here's a good site to buy from:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/

You can also find them at Michaels, or usually any other craft store.

I think the Bager 150 would suit your needs well!
http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/280x210/000/g306.jpg

This Dual Action, Bottom-feed, Internal Mix Airbrush Allows for a Broad
Range of Applications. It Sprays Properly Reduced (thinned) Acrylics, Acrylic
Enamel and Lacquers, Gouaches, Gabric Colors, Watercolors and Dyes.

FEATURES: Left or Right-Hand Use.
Non-Slip Trigger.
Winged Back Lever Design for Easy Re-Assembly and More Precise
Trigger Control.
Medium Needle and Head.

INCLUDES: One 1/4oz Free-standing color cup
One 3/4oz glass jar
One 2 oz glass jar
One protective cap(to use with the 3/4oz and the 2oz jars)
One Large head and needle assembly
One Fine head and needle assembly
One airbrush hanger
One 8ft braided air hose, w/ 1/4" compressor adapter
One wrench

REQUIRES: Air compressor that is regulated.

SPECS: Power Requirements: at least 1/12 of a horsepower.
PSI: 20 to 40 lbs

05-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Sounds like adam knows what hes doing well.. mabe if you gave mxjunie a pm hell help you out, im sure he dose them for harleys and such.

JLanphear
05-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Thank you very much for the info...it was VERY helpful. I will look into that one for sure, sounds like just what he needs.

Again, I appreciate it.

-Josh

figair
05-27-2006, 10:10 PM
HI,I have been an airbrusher now for 14 years (last four years have been off and on)Everything xcadams says is correct and describes it very well.The only thing is (my opinion)I am not a big fan of Badger,I hate there products.I myself like to use Paasche dual action for my everyday use.When I go to the detail work ill switch to a Iwata.If you plan on airbrushing (RC car boddies,models,etc..)Badger would be good,if you gonna do more of textiles ,messing around with t-shirts a lil more heavier pigments I would say go w/the Paasche.The Paasche is a good all around airbrush and you can get there Paasche vL kit for around 75.00 shipped on ebay maybe even cheaper.Comes w/3 needle,3 tip sizes,hose.jars,wrenches etc..This is just my opinion so good luck either way,and I hope he has fun w/it..heres a helmet I did awhile back for spudss(Ron) on this site..
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125279089

JLanphear
05-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Thank you also very much for the input. Love the artwork too. If you did that swingarm for me there is no way I could ever mount it on anything...too nice!

I think my dad will be psyched to get one of these...he's been talking about them for a while. Weird thing is I haven't quite figured out what he is planning on airbrushing.

JLanphear
05-28-2006, 09:40 AM
oh one more thing...does anyone know of any good instructional books or DVD that I could get also? I was planning on going to the local barnes and noble, but if you know of any specifically that would be great. Thanks again!

XCAdam89
05-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
oh one more thing...does anyone know of any good instructional books or DVD that I could get also? I was planning on going to the local barnes and noble, but if you know of any specifically that would be great. Thanks again!

Haha, how's this:

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

Seriously though, Michaels and almost any other craft store have great instructional DVD's and Books. Most of it is just by practice though, I know that's what I do.