PDA

View Full Version : auxhilary fuel tanks and pump

dakar
05-27-2006, 09:37 AM
hi guys
i live in the united arab emirates
just bought the ltr450 ,great quad , and will be competing in the UAE desert challenge , which is a 6 day rally , about 2500kms long , with stages of 220 kms between fuelstops, it is similar to your baja race , but it is mostly massive dunes (300mtrs high) and wide open , flat out dune tracks , it is run near the oil fields of saudi, in this palce called the rub al khali which means empty quarter , and it is literally empty, not even camels survive out there, it is known as the toughest race in the middle east , so its really important for me to have a reliable way of carrying extra fuel. ill be waiting for the clark or ims tank to come out and using that as a replacement for my main tank , and will be running two 3 gallon cylindrical aluminium tanks mounted on custom reinforced nerf bars , its the first time on a fuel injected quad or bike for me and was just trying to figure out a reliable way of getting the fuel up to the injection system , i was gonna mount up another fuel pump to these tanks but was wondering if there is anyway of putting a switch on the main original pump , basically so i can switch it off to block the fuel from the main tank , as you do with a petcock on a carburetted
am new to this whole fuel injection thing and was just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to devise a way that i can switch beween the two fuel sources (pumps), also because i heard that if you let the ltr450 run out of gas it messes up the fuel pump , any help would be seriously appreciated
thanks
seb
also check www.uaedesertchallenge.com

Baracudaaa
05-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Dont know if it will help you, but I was just in an Enduro race at 3,500 ft elevation and after 38 miles, I had a little bit less than a 1/4 of a tank left. I was supprised how well the EFI did on fuel economy.