PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered Rear Axle Bearing Kit 400ex

Ukel
05-26-2006, 11:57 PM
So i'm leaving for Florence OR next weekend and me and my buddy were working on our bikes tonight getting them in shape for the trip and i noticed my rear axle had some play in it. I changed the oil and junk and then went out for a test ride to see how the rear axle felt. It squeaked and crap so I knew without a doubt that the bearings were bad.

I've ordered the All Balls Rear Axle Bearing Kit for my 02 400 EX http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=571&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=106&navType=type

I see now that the bearings in the picture dont seem to be sealed. Should i be worried about this? I'm thinking i may have ordered some pretty crappy rear axle bearings. Or....am i just being retarded and is that just some generic picture they threw up there? :rolleyes:

Pappy
05-27-2006, 06:19 AM
The bearing carrier utilizes its own seals on the outside of the bearings. If you have a non servicable carrier then I geuss it could be argued wether having sealed inner bearings is an advantage or not.

With aftermarket carriers, the seals are removed from the bearings so that when grease is added through the zerk it can enter the bearing. This could also be debated as to wether grease will actually find its way into the bearing....because most of it does not..lol