PDA

View Full Version : Big Tran Oil Problem!!

westhall55
05-26-2006, 10:39 PM
ok i changed the oil in my 250r the other day and everything was fine until i rode it and oil was coming out of the sprocket area really bad. This didnt start happening until i changed the oil. I dont know how much you are suppose to fill to in the case so i filled it till i could touch it! How much are u suppose to fill it? can this cause oil to blow out the seal if the case has to much? thanks!

zedicus00
05-26-2006, 10:43 PM
yeah thas WAAAY to much, on a refill i think its 650ml, a tad more doesnt hurt.

you should invest in a service manual.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-26-2006, 10:49 PM
There is a check bolt on the clutch cover right beside the water pump in the flat area on the cover. Take that bolt out, & while you are refilling the trans, when the oil starts to come out the hole, the trans has the proper amout.

I have alway overfilled mine though with 3/4s of a quart, but no more than that. The overfilling is a tattel tail of sorts, if the crank seal should happen to go out on the clutch side it will start sucking the trans oil into the crankcase & start smoking like the dickings instead of sucking air & seizing the piston.
Neil

westhall55
05-26-2006, 10:55 PM
alright well i appreciate the help!so u think thats why it was leaking from the sprocket?

Outlawracer
05-27-2006, 12:41 AM
You may have blown a seal behind the sprocket from overfilling it that much . Just wait and see if it continues to leak there at all when the correct amount is in there. So if a crank seal goes bad how hard is that to change?

honda350r
05-27-2006, 08:26 AM
It takes 700cc of oil or about 3/4 of a quart!! The check bolt is a poor way to fill your trans! The oil will come out of the check hole way before it is full,plus you may strip out the theads in the clutch cover..

I say leave the check bolt alone and get a measuring device and fill it professionally!!

86250rrider
06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
i put a mark on my ratio-rite for oil fills . another decent idea is to buy 6 or so at a time and use your old empties to make up premeasured bottles for oil changes. dont even mess with it just pour it in! im kinda anal huh?:D