PDA

View Full Version : 558 kit

Jake250ex
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, my stock motor is blowing blue smoke and overheating non stop. When I got it the guy told me the oil level was fine, so I rode it a few times. When I changed it there was NONE in it. So I guess shes burnt up. :(

So now its time for a rebuild. I dont even want to change just getting a stock bore piston and the sleeve being scored. So I think I will just go with this kit. Its $400 from HPD, is supposedly 12.5:1 comp. and includes everything you need. They claim a 5-6hp gain. What else will I need to do to it to make it as reliable as possible? I will be racing it in GNCC and harescrambles. All of the rest will be stock (cams, porting etc) And sorry for all the threads, I just am a new pred owner with alot of questions. Can any owners give comment on this kit, or any with knowlesge or experince?

MAaudioX10
05-27-2006, 08:31 AM
The 558 is a reliable motor. To make it bulletproof, get a falcon rod. I've seen, on rare occasions, the rods snap on the big bore preds.

The motor makes real good torque. Exactly what the Pred is missing.

Vindex Injuriae
05-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Another option is to drop a 440 kit in it - we put one in a stock Pred last week that dropped a valve and scarred the piston pretty bad. You can pick them up on e-bay now for less than $300 brand new with all the parts you need. I run a 558 with quite a bit of mods, my buddy with the new 440 has a pure polaris exhaust as his only other performance mod. The 440 isn't as fast as the 558, but its a lot less "twitchy" - it was super smooth, revved fast and has worked great so far. The 558 is a torque monster, but the 440 is a sweet deal for the money right now! My2c

-J

preddymoto
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Who knows where to get a sleeve removed and one put in?

wolffie
05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Jake250ex, i would reccomend joining www.predatorowners.com for additional help with any pred related questions.

preddymoto, check out www.nicholascycle.com and www.rathracing.com for any pred related engine work. you'll have to call them up though.

440exnacsracer
06-02-2006, 08:22 AM
i had mine installed by a race shop here in atlanta. it is called JR racing and he builds race motors for street bikes and the legends race cars. he did a great job and also ported my head and installed +1 stainless valves all for $500. i would definately reccomend getting a port job and oversize valves if you have the spare money. when mine was finished, i was extremely happy. youll need to save up for a good set of tires if you dont have some lol