PDA

View Full Version : how to get a swing arm pivot bolt out of a 400ex

honda400rider
05-26-2006, 09:37 PM
ok well this took me 6 hours to figure it out first order a new bolt the cut the right side between the swing arm and motor then cut the left side between the frame and swing arm and then remove all the motor mounts and move motor forword so that u can hit the other half of the bolt thru the right side and knock it out the left side of the swing arm and u should be all set hope this helps .

firefighterjosh
05-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Are you kidding me:huh

Pappy
05-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Are you kidding me:huh

No he is not, getting a frozen pivot bolt out can be a nightmare and when you have been around the 400ex for awhile, you will see this as being one of the worst expierences one can go through.

Wheelie
05-27-2006, 07:11 AM
My old one got destroyed upon removal. Needless to say, the new one got installed with plenty of anti-sieze.

Sonic400ex
05-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
No he is not, getting a frozen pivot bolt out can be a nightmare and when you have been around the 400ex for awhile, you will see this as being one of the worst expierences one can go through.

I second that!!! Not fun at all.

400exrules
05-27-2006, 08:41 AM
what happens if u never take it out?

Pappy
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
In a nutshell, your pivot bolts,sleeves and collars will corrode themselves together.

You have a chromoly part, a stamped steel part, a steel engine sleeve and a bimetal pivot bolt all together. dissimiliar metals corrode.

removing the bolt and applying new grease to it is part of the battle, but replacing the pivot bearings/sleeves/collars should be done atleast once or twice a year.

miller821
05-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Exactly, we had to use a sledge hammer to get it out, and ruined the bolt and now have to buy a new one... But at least we got it out..

But try using periods next time bud. I couldn't quite understand you the first time I read it;)

eganracing
05-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by honda400rider
ok well this took me 6 hours to figure it out first order a new bolt the cut the right side between the swing arm and motor then cut the left side between the frame and swing arm and then remove all the motor mounts and move motor forword so that u can hit the other half of the bolt thru the right side and knock it out the left side of the swing arm and u should be all set hope this helps .

thats exactly what i had to do to get mine out.

Sonic400ex
05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Would it be possible to just take it to a decent welder or machine shop. They could have it out in no time flat I would think??? Prolly for next to nothing.

firefighterjosh
05-27-2006, 05:19 PM
On all my quads I grease that bolt about once a month.

Just take the nut off take a long screwdriver push it through grease it and slide back in takes 10Mins. Sounds like it saves alot of trouble in the long run.

Thank goodness I never had that problem

Jim Seely
05-27-2006, 07:06 PM
When I bought my 400ex I had to cut my swing arm up. For not only was the bolt broken ,all sleeves were corroded . Ended up boring out the engine case always use lots of lube

Wandell
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I just wondered if anyone has tried using an air impact wrench to spin the bolt when it's stuck?

prepracing
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Wandell
I just wondered if anyone has tried using an air impact wrench to spin the bolt when it's stuck?

YES, I did that and had another person on the other end with an 8lb sledge and it finally came out :macho

if you love it LUBE it :devil:

brian-250
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Out of all the replies i didn't see this, when you back the nut off take it all the way off and start it back on about 1 full turn. Take a punch and put it in the center of the bolt and hammer it out, always worked for me, when you put it back in use anti seize lube, keeps it slick and doesn't rust back up, kinda simple really, i do mine about 4 times a year.