PDA

View Full Version : replacing cam chan->help

YFZ450Ridr
05-26-2006, 08:35 PM
well i got a new HD cam chain and now i just need to put it in. i have the valve cover off and concluded that the cams need to come out, but then what? thier is no master link on either chains so i cant connect them and pull it threw. do i have to split the cases or can i take off the clutch to get to what i need? does the motor need to be pulled? im really just stuck right now. i dont want to take it to a shop to get it done because my dad and i are perfectly capable of doing it. any help appreciated. is thier any kind of a manual that can guide me threw it, ive herd those clymers manuals are really good.

rmz250
05-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd reccomend a service manual! Theres no way you can do the job w/o one.

IrideMHSC
05-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Ive been thru the same procidure twice.... First get the cams off and make sure you dont drop the chain down into the block... Once you get thet all situated you need to take the four bolts out of the inside of the head that hold it to the bottom head.. and i believe there are two other bolts on the outside of the head that holds it on too but im not 100% on that. Once you have those off you need to remove the top head once again without dropping the chain down in the block again. Next, you need to remove the clutch cover and such and then remove the clutch and clutch hub itself. This can be tricky and you may need to find someone with a tool to hold the hub when you remove it. I recommend a impact wrench to remove the hub nut (it makes life much easier) once you get the hub off and all the chain slides outta the way just remove the old chain and put it back on the sprocket in the bottom of the motor and reverse the steps to build the thing back up. If you need info on the timing when you get it almost rebuilt just either pm me or ask me on here and Ill tell you when it comes time.

xraven35
05-28-2006, 03:58 PM
yeah buy a manual. I just did mine for the first time by myself this weekend. W/ the kawi manual it was easy.