PDA

View Full Version : Brakes are too spongy

huffdaddy_400EX
05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
OK here is the deal.

I replaced the front brake pads, brake rotors, and brakes lines all at the same time (Galfer brand all around) on my z400. I bled the system and replaced with new fluid as well. The brake lever was very very spongy so I bled the system again. No better. Even after I bled the system at least 3 times and made 110% sure no air is in there I still have a spongy brake lever response. I can pull it all the way in to the grip. There is "some" resistance but it never really applies full braking force until it is near the grip.

What could it be?

Could the calipers be bad? I checked the piston and it seemed worked fine.

The brake feel was fine before I swapped out the parts (I had a bad rotor).

The lines are tight and not leaking.

This is driving me nuts!!!! :mad:

Any one have any suggestions on what or where to look at?

Scro
05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Are you sure you are bleeding the brakes correctly?

-Pump up the brakes and hold the lever in.
-Crack the bleeder valve for about half a second and then close it.
-Pump the lever a couple more times.

Repeat this for both sides and you should start to feel more resistance.

huffdaddy_400EX
05-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I've been bleeding brakes for years...just never came across an issue like this.

modaddyoh
05-26-2006, 05:51 PM
You could have a stuck piston. I had the same problem on my 450R. I had to drain all the fluid and unstick the piston. When i put it all back together it worked fine.

Toadz400
05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by modaddyoh
You could have a stuck piston. I had the same problem on my 450R. I had to drain all the fluid and unstick the piston. When i put it all back together it worked fine.

I agree with you. Take your caliper apart and make sure the piston is moving freely. Grease everything up too while you're in there.

huffdaddy_400EX
05-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Took everything apart over the weekend. Once back together it worked fine.