PDA

View Full Version : Axle Nut Issues

moto33
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I just put on a team rear axle with a stock lock nut and it keeps coming loose. I ordered a Duncan one but its not here yet and I want to ride this weekend. Is there any way to make it work temperarly? I heard some where that I could just tighten it and use duct tape around it so it stays put. Does this work? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

MAD450r
05-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I ended up using red loc-tite on mine
its been staying tight since then. Only to get it apart next time i'll have to use heat, which means i'll be replacing bearins and seals at that time.

I tried blue loc-tite and it still comes loose, that might be enough for you to ride the weekend then install the new nut next week.

moto33
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

HAVOK
05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I use blue loc tite and never had a problem.

MAD450r
05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
If you jump alot or like to pound through the whoops its going to come loose over time.

If you ride on the limiter alot like I do there is alot of vibration that causes everything to come loose over time.

Scro
05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I have taken electrical tape and wrapped it around both the main nut and locknut, really tight. This helps if the treadlocker doesn't work. You would be surprised how long it will last on there, too.

JW450R1
05-26-2006, 05:45 PM
i am trying to figure out the same thing.i've tryed red and blue lock tite. in 3 laps around the mx track it's loose.the same thing with lock-tite and duct tape/electrical tape..makes no difference.
i am going to try and different carrier and a anti-fade nut.

jimmy123_272
05-29-2006, 09:49 AM
i used red lock tight on mine and got an old use hub and cut it in the midle on one side and then welded two tubes on to it and put a bolt through it to clamp it down on to the splines and it hasn't come loose yet.
it is the hub moving back and forth a tiny bit each time that takes the nut off

eastside 400
05-29-2006, 10:59 AM
electrical tape works the best, it cant work itself all the way loose with the tape wrapped around it tight, plus it keeps the threads clean so its easier to take off next time, the stock threads are really fine and tight and all it takes is a rock to knick a thread and it will be a ***** to get back off

moto33
05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies, the new one came in just in time, so no need to make the stock one work. The Team Axle nut works awesome, No problems all weekend.