PDA

View Full Version : Forward kicker!

smoxy
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if you could make a reverse kicker into a forward kicker? Like turning a CR motor into a forward kick! Does Service Honda do this with their new trx250r? Just thought I'd ask since I see there are a few very mechanically knowledged people on this site! Thanks!

smoxy
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Just had a look at Servive Honda's site and they do make that CR250 motor a forward kicker! How did they do that?

Meat
05-26-2006, 02:36 PM
yep, its easy to do. You just remount the whole engine backwards:devil:

rebelbanshee
05-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Meat
yep, its easy to do. You just remount the whole engine backwards:devil:
its even easier than that, just sit on the bike facing the other way

Aceman
05-26-2006, 04:49 PM
^^^Looks like we have a couple of real thinkers in this forum...:blah:

smoxy
05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Tell me about it! Come on guys, seriously! Anyone know?

SET THE STAGE
05-26-2006, 06:38 PM
i know how it COULD be done. but it would require a lot of machine work

Meat
05-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I'd bet you could make the kicker gear assembly out of a CR motor work.

smoxy
05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Would Service Honda go through all that trouble of machining all those motors? I was thinking just a little parts swaping or something! I might e-mail them and ask, however somthing tells me that since I'm not buying one of them, they won't go out of their way to tell me!

Rich250RRacer
05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I believe Service Honda does some serious case modification to make forward kick work. Look at the kick starter on a stock R, one large gear which meshes with the small gear on the back of the clutch. On a rear kick, a third gear, which is an idler, is needed to provide the correct direction of rotation. So for forward kick to work on a CR motor, the idler has to be eliminated, and a larger kicker gear (like the kicker gear on a 250R) needs to be used, which requires more room in the case. Room that a stock CR motor does not have.

matt250r21
05-26-2006, 07:45 PM
It looks to me that Service Honda has a different clutch cover on the CR250 motor to turn it into a forward kicker. I think they add another gear above the existing kicker gear to reverse the rotation of the kickstarter. The stock location kicker gear would have to become an idler gear with the kicker assembaly above it.

Rich250RRacer
05-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
It looks to me that Service Honda has a different clutch cover on the CR250 motor to turn it into a forward kicker. I think they add another gear above the existing kicker gear to reverse the rotation of the kickstarter. The stock location kicker gear would have to become an idler gear with the kicker assembaly above it.

That would work also. I just had to respond since my post count was "666" and I don't want any part of that sh*t for too long.:D

1fastprototype
05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
there is an extra 3/4 inch spacer machined to fit on the cases to get the extra room for the forward kick gear and it looks stock. I have 3 of them. I know everyone on here bad raps he Service honda 250r but I have pulled every holeshot and won the last 2 gncc rounds on one of these.

Tom TRX250R
05-27-2006, 01:48 AM
People are not really bad mouthing the Service Honda CR 250/400ex's really, I give them props for attempting to continue the legend, but they did not resolve a couple issues in the swap. First of all, it is not a 250R, so it will not carry the excellent handling that the 250R takes with it that even aftermarket companies still strive for. Another thing is that it is a non-counterbalanced motor and that will mean VIBRATION!! The transmission has not been beefed up to handle the extra traction and force a fourwheeler creates vs. a dirtbike so therefore not being as tough in the lower end. And the NO. 1 reason is that for the price of a Service Honda CR250/400ex (I will not call it a 250R because it is not!!!) is price. For the price I could buy the Service Honda quad, I could purchase a SWEET REAL 250R with aftermarket frame, suspension, and p/v cylinder and good luck with comparing those two vs each other!!! The Service Honda quad would not even be comparable!!!!!

smoxy
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Well let me update you guys because Service Honda got back to me with reguards to their forward kicker conversion on the cr motors. Big surprise, he wouldn't say how they did it only that if they were to sell it as a conversion kit it would be $1500-$2000 bucks! Holly F*#$!!! I could buy a complete motor for that! Unbelievable these guys!

beerock
05-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by smoxy
Well let me update you guys because Service Honda got back to me with reguards to their forward kicker conversion on the cr motors. Big surprise, he wouldn't say how they did it only that if they were to sell it as a conversion kit it would be $1500-$2000 bucks! Holly F*#$!!! I could buy a complete motor for that! Unbelievable these guys!

if you wanna know how they did it just look inside the motor. i talked to the guys at service honda and i was talking tot them about the gusseting of it and pipe testing with fmf, they were cool with me.