PDA

View Full Version : best shocks for me?

400exrules
05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
I ride trails pretty fast, and occasionally race harescrambles. i want to get some new shocks because stock 400ex shocks suck and are really bouncy. its hard to control my quad and i have to slow down on tight trails when my shocks start to bounce me all over the place. i need somethin smooth that will soak up the small stuff, but still soak up some small jumps.

i dont want to spend alot of money, i was thinking about the works at-steelers off rockymountain.com. the only thing is they dont have rezzys, but do i really need rezzy's???

thanks!

j_cyrus3
05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
I ride trails pretty fast, and occasionally race harescrambles. i want to get some new shocks because stock 400ex shocks suck and are really bouncy. its hard to control my quad and i have to slow down on tight trails when my shocks start to bounce me all over the place. i need somethin smooth that will soak up the small stuff, but still soak up some small jumps.

i dont want to spend alot of money, i was thinking about the axis at-steelers off rockymountain.com. the only thing is they dont have rezzys, but do i really need rezzy's???

thanks!

You mean works at-steelers? I had some Works triple rates with rezzy's and they were really, really good for trail riding. Just send them to Derisi or GT thunder when you get them and they will ride like a cadillac. You don't need elka's or axis, or ohlins even if you're just a trail rider... Just my opinion

400exrules
05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
You mean works at-steelers? I had some Works triple rates with rezzy's and they were really, really good for trail riding. Just send them to Derisi or GT thunder when you get them and they will ride like a cadillac. You don't need elka's or axis, or ohlins even if you're just a trail rider... Just my opinion

oh yah, i meant to say Works, i get them mixed up lol.

are these Works on rockymountain triple rates? whats the difference? just 3 springs instead of 2?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=2848&navTitle=Suspension&webCatId=13&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=129&navType=type

im looking for a big difference over stock shocks, but i dont want to spend a whole lot of money

j_cyrus3
05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Im not really sure the difference in the 3 springs, im not a shock guru or anything. But on my 450r revalves I know my top spring is just a sag spring... Get them with rezzys, you can find a set on ebay in good shape pretty cheap, just get them serviced and revalved as soon as you get them.

400exrules
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Im not really sure the difference in the 3 springs, im not a shock guru or anything. But on my 450r revalves I know my top spring is just a sag spring... Get them with rezzys, you can find a set on ebay in good shape pretty cheap, just get them serviced and revalved as soon as you get them.

are rezzys a must?

im trying to save as much money as possible, i really dont want to spend alot, or go through the hassle of sending them off to get revalved and such

j_cyrus3
05-26-2006, 02:57 PM
They aren't a must, but I don't think you will notice much improvement without them.

400exrules
05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
They aren't a must, but I don't think you will notice much improvement without them.

why is that

im just trying to save as much money as i can, cuz with rezzys, that jacks up most prices by about $200-300

and as far as adjustments, what do i need? like...compression, rebound, preload etc...

j_cyrus3
05-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
why is that

I rode a 400ex that had just triple rate w/o rezzy's and it rode like *****...It was set up for a 175lb rider and i weighed about 180 at the time.

kyleschonert
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
you will only notice fading during long rides or races if you dont have the rezzies. If your trying to save money, i would get the rec. elka's from C&D racing. All the rezzies do is hold more fluid to keep the shock running cooler, this will help it so its performance wont fade, and they will last longer before they need revalved. Correct me if im wrong shock experts, but im pretty sure thats what they are for. But you would be much more happy with the elkas than you would the works. A buddy of mine had dual rate works on his 300 and it wore me out just barely riding it at all, but mine are only single rate elka's for some reason, and it is ALOT smoother.

Sonic400ex
05-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I’m no expert, but you are correct on the reasons for rezzies.
I believe the answer to your question about triple rate vs. dual rate springs is that w/ triple you get more plush ride. More active range within the total spring rate . It’s like the smallest spring is the softest, middle, a little harder and the bottom the toughest, for the big stuff. Like I said, I’m no expert but that’s the general idea from reading on this site and others.

jacob

QuadRider55
05-26-2006, 05:36 PM
go elka

JW450R1
05-26-2006, 05:53 PM
elka all the way

watts16
05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
My buddy is selling these
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2289544#post2289544

I would either get those or get the Elka Rec. Series shock.

firefighterjosh
05-26-2006, 09:22 PM
On my Banshee I bought some Works Triples w/rezzys for $300 used. I used them for a year and had them rebuilt by Derisi. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! There are just as good as any Elka I have rode that were on a shee.

On my 416ex I have a long travel front with Elkas revalved by precision, and they are GREAT!!! But alot more expensive set-up.

If money is a problem I would By used and have Derisi Revavle them and have him do the stock rear.

I think Derisi Charged $550. So $850 all together.

JOEX
05-26-2006, 09:26 PM
First question is what's the most you're able to spend? That will dictate what you'll be able to get out of a shock set up. Do you plan on keeping the stock width a-arms?

400exrules
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
First question is what's the most you're able to spend? That will dictate what you'll be able to get out of a shock set up. Do you plan on keeping the stock width a-arms?

i need my stock width a-arms. i would like to go wider for more control, but the trails i ride are so tight in some places that i need to keep it stock. i want to spend under $600 for front shocks, maybe alittle more then that.

but maybe i do need +1 arms, because from the naked eye, it looks like my rear tires are about an inch and a half wider then front tires, so i should still be able to fit through the trails. but ill hold off on the a-arms till i can find a job around here.

Sonic400ex
05-26-2006, 10:27 PM
The rear is a bit wider than then front on the ex stock, I forget how much.

JOEX
05-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Yep, in stock form the rear is a bit wider than the front. I don't remember how much either though....

It's been awhile since i've shopped around for shocks but I belive for $600 you should be able to get a decent set up what you do. I've read great things about several shock rebuilders but i'm guessing alot of those could be from people who buy used shocks to replace their stockers, have them redone and the rider thinks they're the greatest thing out there. They very well could be but then nearly any aftermarket shock will be an improvement over stock.

The only real experience I have with shocks is stock and a set of used PEPs. The PEP's I have are a huge improvement over stock but could use some work, probably need servicing...

ThorR88
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
what do you do when you send your shocks some where to like GT Thunder what do they do to them??

Sonic400ex
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I believe they rebuild the ware items inside the shock. If you are putting 450r front shocks on a 400ex then he has to adjust the stroke of the shock to get the max. travel for your a -arms. Triple rates in front w/ proper spring rate for your weight. You can do a search for there web site, lot of info there I think.....

ThorR88
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
i just got a r and it has pep all around and im not sure how old they are but how much would it be to get them sent into like gt thunder or somebody to re do them and make everything better?

Sonic400ex
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.gtthunder.com/

Dig around there site, that should answer most of your questions. I don't know much about other companys, but I think C&D Racing, they sponser this site, and Santo Derisi works on them. Santo is also on this site.