PDA

View Full Version : My 426 project

ohsobad_chevy
05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Allright fellas, I have done some research and I have decided to bore my 400ex to a 426. I am going to do the following while im in the engine: light to mid range port/polish, 11:1 wiseco piston, hevery duty head studs, and a stage 1 hotcams.
Can anyone else think of something that I am leaving out, or anything that I should do to prevent future problems, I haerd that I should put the heavy duty head studs in, due to the increase in compression.
Please let me know what you guys think as far as a power increase and feel free to tell me what else I can do when I'm in the engine.
I have general knowledge of how the engine operates and my cousin has installed plenty of pistons in his day, should my cousin and I try to tackle this ourselves (other than the boring of course), or should I leave this to an expert.
Last question...How hard is it to install a cam in a 400ex?
Thanks a head of time for all the input. :devil:

JEFF400EX
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
maybe a crf timing chain...
good luck with everything.

440_Turtle
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Go ahead and put a heavy duty timing chain in while you are in there. I dont know what kind of riding you do but a 416 with a stage 2 cam ive heard hauls *****, and you can still bore it out to a 426 later if you want too. Doing teh head studs is a good thing to do while youve got it apart. Have the machine shop thats doing your boring install those also. You should be able to do everything by yourself, but i would suggest gettin ga Clymers manual for torque specs and other info.

Installing a cam is very easy, remove the gas tank and tank cover, and then the rocker covers. you will see the cam sittingright there ont eh top of the head. since you will be replacing thecam chain you will actually do this step last since 2 bolts that hold the head on are directly under the cam. Just make sure that when you install the cam the piston is at TDCand all valves are closed. then instsall teh cam LOBES DOWN, put on the cam sprocket and make sure the lines on the sprocket lign up with teh deck of teh head, install some red locktite on teh cam bolts, install teh cam gear and slide the cam cnain over the gear. PM me if you got any more questions.